Factory/Dealer installed trailer hitch on a 1970 Dodge Dart?

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
Did Dodge Dart's ever come with trailer hitches? My 1970 Dart had one, I removed it but kept it. It bolted on behind the bumper on the brackets (had to pull bumper off to remove) It also had one support that bolted to the trunk floor in the spare tire area. Nice quality hitch, it is definetly made for this car and looked fine installed. Is this a factory option or dealer installed? I will get some pics up if there is any interest, Thanks!

Keith! For 1965 Dodge and Plymouth offered trailer hitches for both the Dart, Valiant and the Barracuda. If you ordered the package they also suggested bigger engine, bigger brakes, stiffer springs etc. I got a nice 65 broshure showing this. Want pictures of it let me know.

I found one in Oregon that even had a electric brake from Bendix under the dash. Cool.

Keith! For 1965 Dodge and Plymouth offered trailer hitches for both the Dart, Valiant and the Barracuda. If you ordered the package they also suggested bigger engine, bigger brakes, stiffer springs etc. I got a nice 65 broshure showing this. Want pictures of it let me know.

I found one in Oregon that even had a electric brake from Bendix under the dash. Cool.

Cool, my 73 Fury wagon has one underr the dash too :D

Thanks Ulf, if you wanted to post the pics here that would be cool. It would be cool to see them, I come across these in junkyards and never look twice at the hitch, if its factory, may be worth grabbbing.

I had a 70 dart that had a dealer installed trailer hitch....

I removed it before I sold the car to 340sixpak

DSC06572.jpg

DSC06550.jpg

DSC06594.jpg

I think you'll see Draw Tite stamped on those trailer hitches with a part number usually.

You might have been able to buy the hitch at the dealer. But I don't think many (if any) came that way off the assembly line.

yep. my 70 dart came from the dealer with a trailer hitch...it was a factory 225 slant six car, with an 8 3/4 rear!!! pretty rare combo for a slant six car to come with an 8 3/4. :)
i took the trailer hitch off and threw it away.......was it worth anything???

yep. my 70 dart came from the dealer with a trailer hitch...it was a factory 225 slant six car, with an 8 3/4 rear!!! pretty rare combo for a slant six car to come with an 8 3/4. :)
i took the trailer hitch off and threw it away.......was it worth anything???

I parted out a 69 4 door Dart- slant 6- with a tow hitch- guy used for towing boat...- bolted to bumper brace and to spare tire floor

the previous owner of my Demon said it had a trailer hitch on it when he bought it, i have it in the garage. It's a 318/904 8.25 car...

-
Back