Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Those are in about the same shape as the wheels I have on the front of my 68 Dart. Nothing a little elbow grease can't take care of. I'm enjoying your build. Keep it up!

1206120907.jpg

0105131738_zps29a96420.jpg

1206120907.jpg.html

Since I jump around like I have a bad case of ADD, I was wondering if this heat/ac vacuum schematic from a 73 Dart would be the same for my 74 Duster's heat and ac control?

I also posted this over in the heat/ac forum.

1973_Dodge_Chassis_Service_Manual.jpg

Psssssst! I think he prefers Grog, lol. I wouldn't think they would have differentiated a different setup between a Dart/Dart sport, and a Duster. Just test all of the vacuum pods before you get the dash put back in. Merry Christmas to you and your family. :)

Psssssst! I think he prefers Grog, lol. I wouldn't think they would have differentiated a different setup between a Dart/Dart sport, and a Duster. Just test all of the vacuum pods before you get the dash put back in. Merry Christmas to you and your family. :)
I know there was no difference between Dodge and Plymouth. Reason I asked was 73 was a changeover year and I wanted to insure the vacuum stuff wasn't carried over from 72 to 73 then reworked in 74.

Planning to test the vacuum setup with a small shop vac.

I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas as well.

Last edited:
I am to working on a 1971 duster with my 10 year old boy we have not got to far yet do to no rich lol. But so far we have some of the sheet metal has been replaced. We took the 6 out and put a 360 out of a police package magnum in it. It is the heavy duty motor like in the little red express. We put long tube headers with full boar single-chamber mufflers and two and a half inch true dual exhaust. It has a Holley 650 carb 4 Barrel. Best of all love the time with my boy. I told him if he gets straight A's all the way through high school and graduate I will give that car as a graduation present. Good luck with the build.

I am to working on a 1971 duster with my 10 year old boy we have not got to far yet do to no rich lol. But so far we have some of the sheet metal has been replaced. We took the 6 out and put a 360 out of a police package magnum in it. It is the heavy duty motor like in the little red express. We put long tube headers with full boar single-chamber mufflers and two and a half inch true dual exhaust. It has a Holley 650 carb 4 Barrel. Best of all love the time with my boy. I told him if he gets straight A's all the way through high school and graduate I will give that car as a graduation present. Good luck with the build.
Jason,
That's awesome! We started when my son was 14. He's in college now ( in Putney Vermont by the way )and we are still at it. We moved twice and rebuilt a home along the way. Treasure the moments with your boy!!

Last edited:
IMG_5739.JPG
I had a few hours to myself today and the rest of the family took my Suburban out for the day. Took advantage of the time and the empty garage bay next to Misty to cut and drill the angle for the rear bumper modification. Decided to clamp a 1x6 on the under side of the quarter lips to mock up the bumper placement while sitting on the board.
(Things just go better for me if there is lumber involved in the process.)
Then I'll tack weld the metal frame together while it's clamped up to the car. One tacked I can take it apart and weld the frame then install everything permanently.

A quick test fit of the angle support inside the bumper to the new brackets.

I had to hold it all in place with a ratchet strap and two jack stands. I placed the vertical angle and tacked it in place.

Will need to weld the frame and the brackets then hang it again to align and clamp both assemblies before final install.

Going to be nice to use the original bumper without the filler piece.

IMG_5745.JPG

IMG_5744.JPG

IMG_5747.JPG

I resolve to:Organize better, Focus on one task, Not jump around so much and get Misty moving and stopping on her own power this year....

I made a break out for my aftermarket radio and gauges off the original radio plug on the harness. Think we can get the dash in the car tomorrow after I clean up the routing of the wiring.

IMG_5846.JPG
IMG_5847.JPG

IMG_5883.JPG
Ok so I'm feeling good after testing all my dash panel lights and getting power to the aftermarket radio and tach without hacking up the harness. Still trying to determine what the blue and green wire pair are for that come off the branch after the heat-AC control. They are about the same length (maybe 6" shorter) as the 4 wire branch that has a 3 socket plug and a single plug on it that plugs into the side of the heater box that faces the front right passengers knees.

Need to sand off the paint on the back of the side bolt slots and the side of the cabin to insure a good ground.

My thought on dash install is to place the dash on the cowl face up to allow vacuum tubing connection and harness plug up and connection of the the defrost ducts on the heater box side.

Hey there Bob,
Looking at the manual, there is a pair that goes through a grommet in firewall. Blue to compressor and Green to blower motor that would be right in that area. The green one would trace back to both the resistor on heater box and the H position of the fan switch.

Hey there Bob,
Looking at the manual, there is a pair that goes through a grommet in firewall. Blue to compressor and Green to blower motor that would be right in that area. The green one would trace back to both the resistor on heater box and the H position of the fan switch.

Thank you Kieth! i could have told you that if I looked at the instructions......
:rolleyes:

Already decided not to do the MAD ammeter bypass. Somebody tell me why I shouldn't use a 3 wire alternator along with the stock regulator. Anyone?

Last edited:
Setup some space to work in the basement recently. This weekend we moved most of our parts and interior panels into the basement to allow more space in The garage. Aaron spent some time down there today hand sanding the newly acquired cop wheels.

Yesterday I discovered 2 small holes in the 340 manifolds(thanks again @69conv for the gift) that must be for drive pins that held the heat riser in place. I had the 2 large holes on the side of the outlets welded shut over a year ago. I took to my hand fluxcore welder and closed up the drive pin holes. Kinda in weird spot to grind so I finished it up with a dremel.
The manifold were sandblasted recently but had some very light newly formed surface rust. I brushed them down and gave the a shower in CLR.

Next is more brushing and a wipe with laquer thinner then paint with Por 15 high heat manifold black paint.

Stopped over to see @AlV To check out under hood harness routing and he urged/reminded us to replace the 40 year old cluster regulator before the dash goes back in, that's a definite to do item.

Beginning to plan reworking the under hood harness as well. I discovered the harness is generally intact but I think a previous owner removed the Mopar regulator plug and put these grey 2 pin ones with the plastic pins on in its place. And yes I know the red plug is for the dreaded seatbelt interlock.....
IMG_5914.JPG
IMG_5916.JPG
IMG_5917.JPG
IMG_5906.JPG

Last edited:
Looking forward to what a Misty roar sounds like. Keep up the good work. Wish new cars were put together with such attention to detail.

Looking forward to what a Misty roar sounds like. Keep up the good work. Wish new cars were put together with such attention to detail.
Sometimes it feels as if we're just wandering around in the dark trying to figure out what is the next step and the right thing to do but I know we're making progress. Just wanted to let you know that your generous gift still amazes me. Thanks again!

-
Back