Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Here come the Jav
Looks like I'll be on my own again on the Duster...
IMG_7739.JPG

Looks like he made a decent trade! My buddy had a nice Javelin when we were just out of high school. 73 or 74 I think? Beautiful car, but we all called it a Kelvinator just jackin with him....lol.

Looks like he made a decent trade! My buddy had a nice Javelin when we were just out of high school. 73 or 74 I think? Beautiful car, but we all called it a Kelvinator just jackin with him....lol.
The body is ROUGH. But it's a complete car and the 304 in it runs strong. Has a edlebrock intake, cam, carb kit in it. I suggest he take it down to the metal, then see what he has. It does not have a solid original paint job under there that I can see. Lots of hack job body work.

Got Misty back together today.
No leaks! Did a little walk around.
Still need to get that advance timing light and get her tuned.

Last edited:
On the Javelin, I would try to drive it as is, unless the body makes it un-safe for any reason.

On the Javelin, I would try to drive it as is, unless the body makes it un-safe for any reason.
He needs to get the power steering pump in it and get the fuel tank on line. It's running on a juice bottle under the hood right now. Then I told him to drive it and start stripping the panels one at a time and address issues.

Last edited:
He needs to get the power steering pump in it and get the fuel tank on line. It's running on a juice bottle under the hood right now. Then I told him to drive it and start stripping the panels one at a time and address issues.

Good plan, so it is not apart for years....

No wonder I couldn't see my timing mark with the plain timing light. I had 50* of total timing! lol
I set the initial at 20* and total is 32*
Real nice lumpy idle now but as I rev it still falls apart almost like a rev limiter or something. @AlV thinks it's ignition not carburetor. I think so too. I have a spare HEI module I can put in to see if that changes things. Timing does not dance around except when at 500-700 rpm it fluctuates slightly. It stays steady when rpm rise. I'm wondering if the pickup in the distributor may be bad. It's a stock replacement remanufactured Mopar distributor. I'm hoping @TrailBeast can offer a suggestion.

Here is a video of what is happening with the motor.
HEI ignition with stock Mopar dizzy

Sure sounds like your ignition isn't keeping up. Do you have another coil you can swap in?

Did you use an "internal resistance coil"

Sure sounds like your ignition isn't keeping up. Do you have another coil you can swap in?
The boys over in small block tech are telling me there is is a gap adjustment in the dizzy that could be open more than it should be. They also thing my initial timing is way too high at 20* They recommend I set it at 5* to start because the stock dizzy can give you up to 30* more advance.
I have a new, not remanufactured distributor I am picking up tomorrow.

Did you check the balancer to ensure you reading the timing correctly?

Sounds like your balancer is correct.
I never did trust the dial lights.
I would spend $7 for a timing tape. When you put the tape on cover it with clear packaging tape, or it will not stay on.

Sounds like your balancer is correct.
I never did trust the dial lights.
I would spend $7 for a timing tape. When you put the tape on cover it with clear packaging tape, or it will not stay on.
My guess is they are a special order item from Summit or someplace
Polyurethane applied with a brush will seal the tape edge and keep it there

Im going to read through all of this,im impressed with your perseverance. But i went back to first post and to this last one. 6 years. Thats a long haul.

-
Back