Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Will do. We got the timing tape yesterday. Thanks
No problem, glad I could help, just put some clear packaging tape over it.
I tried spraying clear coat over one once, and it just blurred the ink on the tape.

Ordered a performance curve distributor from:
Classic HEI Systems Distributors
I’m not one for futzing with little pieces and I can return the OEM style unit I bought last week within 30 days for any reason.
I discovered I need to modify the turn signal arm so there is some space for my fat fingers to turn the wheel and not hit it. Will most likely get another and do some bending. Hope they are not hardened and I hope I get the shell off without a puller....
7BD8CB40-9360-4AAF-B348-FCAE21568583.jpeg

x2 but find one used, swap meet or on here.
That ebay one is high priced.

Snapped the window trim in place last evening. Fitment is very bad. Got to get a removal tool and figure out what’s up!
4E5361BA-72A8-43B0-A606-5292086AEE6E.jpeg
85EB3883-CC89-4D81-B84C-C9ADE0F11545.jpeg
CF93E56B-8ACD-4A4A-99B0-B37022753518.jpeg
DA731DE8-5242-4499-ABF2-A9B3228886F7.jpeg

D/D those things are a real pain. It does not look like it is snapping on the clips properly. I hope you have good clips?

I took a glance at the picture on the last page (clip.) It looks like that one is bent. Maybe you will have to buy new clips

D/D those things are a real pain. It does not look like it is snapping on the clips properly. I hope you have good clips?

I expected it to be total pita. I ordered the clips from Dante’s. I posted a thread about it and others are having good luck using the rear window clips in the spots where the are having trouble. Regardless, I need to start over

I got my modded curve distributor, put it in set it at 18* initial and she misses just as bad. I bought a parts store hei module put it in and it would not run at all. Put the flame thrower module back in and it runs but as before it misses.

I am going to bypass all my wiring and slap the parts store module in right at the coil and dizzy the see what happens then...

Damn it:mob:

Check the big red and black wires where they plug into the big connector block at the firewall. They are known to heat up and cause an ignition miss. A friend of mine chased a slight miss in his 67 GTX, and that's where he found it. He had added a hotter ignition like MSD, so maybe your ignition upgrade is taxing the connections at the firewall like his did.

I had an issue with too long a wires on the hei module on my engine start stand.
Moved the hei module close to the distributor and problem solved.

I had an issue with too long a wires on the hei module on my engine start stand.
Moved the hei module close to the distributor and problem solved.
I fabbed up an aluminum plate for the HEI module that is held in place by the rear coil bracket bolt. When I moved the module to be right next to the dizzy I checked the timing and it read 50* at idle!! Did not move the distributor at all since yesterday. So I set the initial to 18* and the motor runs GREAT!
For some reason this module likes being right at the coil and the dizzy.
I took the car out for a ride and holy smokes, this thing runs like the little monster I had hoped for!
Problem Solved.
:thumbsup:
D4A64E84-C1C7-4331-836C-BE658D66744F.jpeg
8EC2272F-C23A-49C2-8644-8D7B06777C27.jpeg

Last edited:
Took my son on a ride up the county highway. She growls and excelerates super quick. Stunning actually. The look on his face when those secondaries came in was worth the six plus years of work!
:steering:

I decided to take a ride on the Garden State Parkway yesterday. It was in the forties and mostly sunny. The car was not running as well as she did the previous weekend.
She handles well at highway speeds and turns about 2100 rpms at 60 mph. Not bad!!
I got off the highway and stopped at the local gulf station for some fuel as I have not worked the bugs out of my fuel gauge yet. When I went to start her, CLICK CLICK!! Starter solenoid stuck. The gas station guy would not let me work on it in his parking area so Misty got a ride home. I was running the starter that was on the blown up 318 that was in the car when I bought it. I just tested it, painted it and threw it on. Serves me right I guess. I have a new mini starter on the way...
9DCB8F8E-726A-4F9B-B244-88460C9A4D92.jpeg

Last edited:
Went for a cruise to AlV’s house to check out his projects. Had a great visit made a couple carb adjustments. Headed home, got a mile and ran out of gas!
I thought the gauge sender had an issue.
Al came to rescue me then I filled the tank and discovered this!
86A589C5-9183-4B18-9478-11A38AFDCD5D.png

The dreaded fuel pickup locking ring!!!
Hope it’s just loose.
Drove the car to work today to run the fuel down some more. Another thing to work on...
8862D2BC-7C87-427A-9AF5-C22053E61EDB.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back