Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
My son is 20 now. He loves the car. He has worked along the way and has also stepped away as well. He is a big fan of the hobby and we have bonded over the car in a great way.

That and you got him firmly launched in all things mechanical, what a wonderful foundation to build the rest of his life on. Rock on!!!

That and you got him firmly launched in all things mechanical, what a wonderful foundation to build the rest of his life on. Rock on!!!
He is more of a quality control inspector/automotive restoration critic than a mechanic, but we enjoy each other's company out in the garage...

Since it’s going to be quite awhile til I get to the AC, does anyone know the thread details on these firewall connections? I’d like to see if I can get some caps to keep dirt out and make them look a little cleaner.
E7065EB4-4E75-483F-A62C-40D092B361ED.jpeg

D/D, How is she running? Have been driving it around?
She runs fantastic! Better than I could have ever hoped for. I am very happy because I got lucky with this combination. The engine transmission and rear combo make the car fun and exciting to drive. The car absolutely needs a front suspension rebuild which I am gathering the parts to do now. Thanks for asking

What is the rear end you have? 83/4 I'm sure but what gear? and I guess a 904 trans?

It’s an open differential 8-1/4 with gears in the very high 2s or low low 3s. The car is well behaved but performs nice with these gears. Comes off the line great, and goes down the interstate turning around 3k and the car feels good!! I’m going to leave them but get one of the aftermarket sure grip lockers for it. The trans is a 904 with a transgo shift kit in it. Column shift. The car is an excellent cruiser with more balls than I could have ever imagined.

Since it’s going to be quite awhile til I get to the AC, does anyone know the thread details on these firewall connections? I’d like to see if I can get some caps to keep dirt out and make them look a little cleaner.
View attachment 1715130873
The big one is #12 female o-ring fitting and the small one is a #6 male o-ring fitting.
Cley

Drove Misty to work today to meet her cousin! Later on we will
Stop by the paint shop to talk about a few things that need fixin...
0567A91C-B0CF-4A05-A9F8-29FF39CC7AF5.jpeg

I pulled off the windshield trim and sent it out to have is de dented. Member here named Waggin tells me if he can't get the dent out he will swap in a different piece and make the stuff look great. I also sent him the gutter trim since the passenger side had a small dent in it. I stressed out for years about taking that gutter trim off for no reason. A friend told me to use an old-school bottle/can opener and work it from the joint. It took me less than 5 minutes.
The place who painted the car was supposed to remove and replace the gutter caulk. Somehow that detail got lost in translation at the shop and they just went over the old and didn't do a great job with it at that. So they are going to replace it and blend the paint from the gutter to the hard body line. It will be fine since we are only talking about a surface about an inch wide.
dddd.jpg
fix.png

I really like what you've done with this project...stayed on budget, super-looking car, with enough juice to wake up the neighbors without breaking the bank. Hats off to you on a great job, DD!

I really like what you've done with this project...stayed on budget, super-looking car, with enough juice to wake up the neighbors without breaking the bank. Hats off to you on a great job, DD!
Thanks Captm!
She goes really nice and those big valves and 2-1/2 pipes make a heavenly hellish racket!!

My seat had 2 small seams that needed to be redone. The seat had previously been stained a light grey. I prepped for the black stain I applied over the grey stain. The grey lifted off in a few places, so I decided to remove all the stain down to the original vinyl. It takes a little time but it comes off with lacquer thinner and it does not hurt the vinyl.
The rest of my interior is fine since all of those peices are original to the car. My black stain took well and adhered beautifully.
So I’m going to take the seat to the guy who did my dash pad. He’s going to re-sew the 2 seams and rebuild the drivers side of the seat foam the put the seat in top condition. Whe I get it back from him I’ll refinish it and get it back in the car.
8E747380-A035-4995-A706-74E837777282.jpeg
F5FA0014-D1EC-49BE-A7BE-B2DD986DAB37.jpeg

I have had good luck with the spray die from classic industries.
I still have a can of it, I will check the brand.
I also had to redo any piece that I done with the duplicate-color crap.

I have had good luck with the spray die from classic industries.
I still have a can of it, I will check the brand.
I also had to redo any piece that I done with the duplicate-color crap.
A check on the brand would be greatly appreciated Shawn.
BTW, my son's Swinger is on all four wheels now and getting an alignment on Monday.

-
Back