Feeling old tonight!

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
Just had to go there one more time. Rumors had it that he did it first at Masters Field in Miami, Florida, but it was not official.
Norm

Saw him at Island in the 60’s after one of his 200 mph runs. Still have a pic of me on his lap, as I was a kid. Track still going with 200 mph limit last time I was there.

Great vid. Love seeing the pit crew in all white in those days. Still remember watching Garlits running Muldowney at Fremont Dragstrip in Fremont, CA. This was when you could cross the track from the grandstands to the opposite side pretty much as soon as they entered the water boxes. I walked way behind them (at least I thought I was far enough away) with a Coke in my hand when they started their burnouts. I immediately dropped my drink so I could plug my ears in an attempt to save my drums from rupturing as I was getting pelted with hot sticky rubber. That was a great day!

Saw him at Island in the 60’s after one of his 200 mph runs. Still have a pic of me on his lap, as I was a kid. Track still going with 200 mph limit last time I was there.

I'm glad you mentioned you were just a kid when you took a pic on "Big Daddy's" knee because otherwise ... it would have been just plain weird.

I'm glad you mentioned you were just a kid when you took a pic on "Big Daddy's" knee because otherwise ... it would have been just plain weird.
We just had to go there, didn’t we?

Hello moparman 1806

Island dragway used to be my home track, in the '60's, 70's 80's.
I was a relief flagman at Montomery NY back in '58 or '59, and flagged off Don in the Swamp Rat 1 (8 carbs, no blower), against Art Atfons "Green Monster" Alison powered dragster, with dual slicks.
PS: Don won

-
Back