Fenderwell headers?

-

burrpenick

'69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I've never loved the idea of cut- outs in the inner fenders to make room for the collectors. Does this really weaken the frame stiffness or am I over thinking its impact? My idea was that the sub frames s/b connected IF this is done...........................

I've never loved the idea of cut- outs in the inner fenders to make room for the collectors. Does this really weaken the frame stiffness or am I over thinking its impact? My idea was that the sub frames s/b connected IF this is done...........................

Never seemed to weaken my frame stiffness on my 63 Valiant...(ran in low 11's in the early 70's) If you are carefull in cutting the inner fenders, the hole won't be all that large... Love how they were so easy to install or uninstall if you needed to pull a head... etc. The LA heads flow better going up... And, for me... They even looked cool.⚓
Note: I ran JR Headers.... But suppose all fender wells are pretty much the same.... And... I would do the sub frame connectors as it would stiffen the A body even if you don't go with fender well headers.⚓

race63_B4.jpg

Great picture of an older A with the wild WHITE headers! I'm thinking you are probably correct in thinking that the chassis integrity was probably not altered enough for us mortals to notice. That up mount really does make the install alot easier, now I'm wondering if that type header can be purchased for cheap like the the Flowtechs or Jegs brand?

In the the 67-76 A-Body's you do have to cut-out the gusset from the frame to the rocker, so without tying the frames there may be a little weakness.

Personally I'm not a fan of cutting holes in perfectly good sheet metal. If done correctly I don't think there'd be a noticeable difference in strength of the sheet metal. The more you take out the less strong it'll be. But if you keep it to a minimal amount I don't think there'd be an issue

my Duster ran modified production in the early '70s with fenderwell headers. if U find some new ones today I would be surprised. keep us posted

-
Back