Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
I see you haven't lost your attention to detail, as with the other parts everything is done perfectly. Always a pleasure viewing your build. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the compliment orangewagon. My ultimate goal is to make the car look like "day one." After looking at the cars at Carlisle, it interesting how some restorations just look "off". Whether it is the quality of the component restoration or even the shade of the exterior paint, the car just looks restored. I'm trying my best to make this restored car look unrestored......if you catch my drift.

Hi John. Gary and I went up on Friday. We spent most of our time around the vendors and parts. I was kinda tired because I went to the Guns n Roses concert in Philly the night before. Didn't get home until 3AM and got up for Carlisle around 5:30AM.

Hi John. Gary and I went up on Friday. We spent most of our time around the vendors and parts. I was kinda tired because I went to the Guns n Roses concert in Philly the night before. Didn't get home until 3AM and got up for Carlisle around 5:30AM.
I was up Friday and walked all over till I was hot and tired and finally decided to leave after my final stop at Sigel's swap spot.

I stopped by the body shop today to check out my car. No new progress to report on. He will be getting back on track next week. I brought my exhaust/ muffler brackets along to check for fit. Even though they are advertised as A-body brackets, they don't fit the Duster. They are smaller than the original brackets. Interestingly, a 1971 Swinger in the shop had the 4 hole bracket like I purchased. Looks like I'm on the hunt for a 3-hold passenger side bracket. Perhaps I will call Accurate and check with them first.

I checked with Accurate about my passenger side exhaust/muffler hanger bracket. They do not make a reproduction of the factory bracket. Their bracket is considered a "universal" replacement. I heard from a reliable source that a reproduction bracket should be available hopefully by September.

My body man sent me a picture of the work that has been done this week. It looks like the old girl is starting to get some assembly done! Just what I needed to see after a long week of work.
IMG_2948.jpg

Stopped by the body shop today to drop some parts off for Steve for alignment during assembly. The rear seat back was placed in the car to determine where the tabs are welded on the inner fender tub. I just had to take a picture to see how it looks with the reupholstered seat! I also threw in some pictures of the back end assembly for everyone to see. Steve sprayed Resto Rick's sound deadener on the quarter panels before they get welded in place. He used my photos to duplicate the pattern.
I can't tell you all how happy I am to see my car coming together. This has been my dream since the car was taken off the road in 1983.

[
PICT3403_fixed.jpg
PICT3404_fixed.jpg
PICT3405_fixed.jpg
PICT3406_fixed.jpg
PICT3407_fixed.jpg
PICT3408_fixed.jpg
PICT3411_fixed.jpg
PICT3413_fixed.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome! I can see why you would be very happy. It appears this shop is doing a fine job, and doing it when they said they would do it. :thumbsup:

My brother Gary and I made our annual pilgrimage to Chrysler's at Carlisle. Both of us look forward to the event every year. It's a great chance to look at lots of parts and some really cool Mopars. Best of all, we get to spend some quality time together.
I bought a couple odds and ends for the Duster however......I don't need much. I purchased some muffler/ exhaust pipe hangers from Accurate to replace my rusted originals. The new hangers are made of stainless steel for durability. I felt that they looked almost too "new." I decided to dull them down a little by applying muriatic acid. The treatment helped to take most of the shine away and give it a little bit of an aged patina. I like the look.
I probably will be going with a stainless steel exhaust system when the time comes. I might consider giving it the same treatment.

View attachment 1714951535
I will have the correct A Body right side exhaust brackets.
I am having theses brackets made and the inside bracket with the studs also. They will be available by September. They are made in the USA. I will let you know when they are done.

IMG_6132.JPG

IMG_6134.JPG

I was there at his shop this past Wednesday and seen the progress on your Duster. Steve said he found a couple other bad area's hiding from the previous hack job body shop.

Dave
Thanks for making these brackets available for the Mopar restoration crowd. I've done some searching and it seems these babies are hard to find.
Kevin

Those bodywork pics looks like quality work. I really admire people who can do it right. Look forward to more pics! Thanks

I've been impressed with the quality of work being done at Sigel Enterprises. Steve and I have discussed the direction of how I want the body finished and he understands how I envision the car to be done. No comparison to the previous fiasco I dealt with.

I've been impressed with the quality of work being done at Sigel Enterprises. Steve and I have discussed the direction of how I want the body finished and he understands how I envision the car to be done. No comparison to the previous fiasco I dealt with.

Glad you got her at the right place Kevin...night & day I'm sure! Look forward to seeing her at Carlisle in the near future!: )

Dave
Thanks for making these brackets available for the Mopar restoration crowd. I've done some searching and it seems these babies are hard to find.
Kevin
Hard enough to find that i found a very rusty original that i used as a template to fab and weld up a duplicate for myself about 2 years ago LOL

Steve did a test fit of my rear bumper after the tail panel and quarters were clamped into place. The top edge of the bumper is high at the center and makes a noticeable inconsistent gap along the lower tail panel section.
The front and rear bumpers were purchased from Tri-City Plating at Spring Carlisle. I exchanged my original cores at the time of purchase. I'm going to give them a call today to see if they will do an exchange. Hopefully, they will make this right. I've heard only good things about Tri-City. I'll report back about their customer service later.

I spoke with Tri-City this morning about my rear bumper issue. My body man, Steve, will be taking it out to the Mopar Nats along with my receipt. They told me that they will look it over and make things right. Unfortunately, they don't have a 1970 rear bumper in their inventory for exchange. Looks like no more quarter panel or tail panel work until we get a better bumper.
:(

I sent both my bumpers for my Demon down to Tri-City as well and I was really happy with them.

Thanks to j-miller we were able to get a nice '72 rear bumper core to use on my car. The jack slots can be filled in to make it correct for my car. Looks like things will be moving ahead on the project.

IMG_5014.jpg

If you're still going to use Tri City Plating, and if you haven't already done so....check with them to be sure they will plate the bumpers with welded up jack slots. I asked them to do some E body bumpers and weld up the jack slots years ago, and they politely declined because they had previously had issues with the welds causing problems with the chrome after a few years. That issue may have since been resolved, and I hope they will do the bumper for you. I have slotted bumpers on my 70 Duster also, and will be taking them to Tri City. I live less than an hour away! If they will weld the slots, fine...if not, that's fine too. I will just dig out a slot style jack and use it. My Car will not even be close to original, other than the body lines....lol. Good to see they are working steady on your car. :thumbsup:

My body man recommended filling the slots on the bumper. It was his suggestion since we couldn't track down a 70-71 rear bumper. He deals with Tri-City as well. I will mention your concerns and see what he can find out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Here's my latest project. This 1972 Chrysler New Yorker was the last car my father owned before he passed away in 1984. My mother has kept the car for sentimental reasons. The car has been garaged since we owned it in 1973.
A couple of years ago, I had Scott Smith at Harm's restore the Carter carb. The vital fluids have been changed. Bought a new battery yesterday, cranked her over with the coil disconnected and saw oil pump up to the rockers. Gave her a squirt of started fluid and she fired right up.
Washed the old girl yesterday and buffed most of the paint. Paint is not perfect (a lot of stone chips) but pretty good for original enamel.
I will be working on lower quarter repairs and touch ups. Although the car doesn't have much monetary value, it is priceless in sentimental value. She going to stay a survivor.

PICT3427_fixed.jpg

PICT3428_fixed.jpg

PICT3429_fixed.jpg

PICT3431_fixed.jpg

Beautiful New Yorker! You're welcome on the bumper thing. I think it's probably a concern for them on their lifetime warranty they give on their bumpers. It was years ago when I asked, and they may have remedied the problem by now. If I remember right, it was something to do with something from the welds coming out and bubbling up the chrome plating. Anyway, work is moving right along with your car since you obtained the straight bumper. My buddy just put AMD bumpers on his 70 Duster, and they look great. From what I understand, AMD has 2 grades of bumpers. Cruise night/driver bumpers, and show bumpers. That might be a plan b if it gets down to it.

-
Back