Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
Thanks guys. It's taken a long time to get this far. I'm starting to get excited.

Great progress Kevin, nice to see it off the jig and heading to the next step, after what you've been thru it's enjoyable to see the work done right and your excitement!

Thanks Randy. It's nice to see that all rusty metal has been removed and replaced with AMD or NOS pieces. The body was never this nice even when the car was purchased in 1975. The trunk pan was rusted even after 5 years. I hope you get a chance to get back to working on your Swinger.

Body work on the Duster has been roughed in and she has her first coat of high build primer. Steve will let the car sit for a month before resuming the next round of sanding.

Body work on the Duster has been roughed in and she has her first coat of high build primer. Steve will let the car sit for a month before resuming the next round of sanding.

I seen pics of it on Facebook and yeah it's starting to look good!

The Duster sits until Steve and his crew can start the sanding process. John's Demon is coming along nicely. It's looking nice.
PICT3522_fixed.jpg

It took me a while to put 2 and 2 together regarding who is doing your car. I knew when he first came on Moparts, that the young man was destined for greatness. His skills are simply amazing. Here's a link to the thread about a Challenger he fixed. 90% of everyone else would have written it off as less than a good parts car!
Project Rust Bucket: 1971 Challenger R/T | Member Projects & Survivor Pictures | Moparts Forums
I remember him working on his black Super Bee and what a rot bucket that was and it turned out nice. That was his first car he has done when he was around 17 or 18 years old. He has a couple of real good guys working for him as well.

I stopped by the shop yesterday to look at the Duster. She is wearing another fresh coat of primer and is ready for round 2 of blocking. The body is really looking nice. Steve and his crew are doing a fantastic job on the car. I couldn't be happier!

They must have done it sometime last week. I was there the day after Christmas and it was in the paint booth at the time.

It looks like both cars are in a top notch body shop. I wish my body and paint where alittle better but I tell people it was the best I could afford. It is always fun to see cars that are finished at a high level. Looking forward to progress and some day pics of my car will make it in here. Thanks David

It looks like both cars are in a top notch body shop. I wish my body and paint where alittle better but I tell people it was the best I could afford. It is always fun to see cars that are finished at a high level. Looking forward to progress and some day pics of my car will make it in here. Thanks David

Met with Steve last night to look over pictures of my car during disassembly. In particular, we looked at trunk and inner body seam sealer and paint. My undercarriage pics weren't much help but we were able to see some remnants of dip primer and red paint overspray.
I pulled my fender tag out of storage and I was pleasantly surprised about how well the FE5 paint looked on the underside. We will be using this as a reference for paint matching. I want to paint the car with a single stage for more of a factory look.

The Duster will be going on the rotisserie soon. Steve did a spray out of the Rallye Red paint and the paint that will mimic the primer. The red looks great! I'm anxious to see some paint on this car once again.
PICT3531.JPG
PICT3532.JPG

Steve has been finishing the sanding on the lower door and rocker panels of the Duster. I believe that he should soon be ready to start painting the car. I decided to go with Glasurit single stage to try and duplicate the original enamel texture. I've been working on rearranging the garage to make room for the car when it comes back from the shop. The old girl will be coming back home in the near future!

-
Back