Finally, my first 360 and goals for it! I'll be asking a lot of questions.

-
I can't get it to work with my notebook that use's Chrome but works fine with Windows on the laptop.
Thanks. It's weird because it worked for me on my home computer, Macbook Pro (Sierra) the other day.

The 360 comes with a flywheel that was hooked up to a clutch and a manual 4 speed. If I understand correctly, that flywheel is externally balanced (to make up for the balance that a automatic would have on the TQ). Will a flexplate hook up to that flywheel, and if so, since the flywheel is balanced, that means I should be able to reuse my 0 balanced TQ?

The flexplate replaces the flywheel, you'll either have get a tq that is balanced for your 360 or get a aftermarket balance flexplate. I think I posted a link earlier in this thread for one of these flexplates.

And here it is! Was on the road for about 8 hours today and picked it up. Very nice older man who sold it. He had an awesome place, like a car museum and an Elvis bar full of memorabilia. Such a place I always dreamed of having :) I think this is the matching numbers engine that came out of the 73 Challenger he and his son was building. The car was imported to Austria from Texas. The 360 looks very nice and clean.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46dd.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46df.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46e0.jpg

I have to say, just getting to meet and see this older gentlemans place was a score. He had drag raced all his life and had so many stories and such a nice place. No bragging kind of dude, just sharing when he saw that I was genuinely interested. I think we struck up a friendship.

Nice looking motor!!! I'd put it in the car as is and see how it runs. By the way it can't be a numbers matching 360 from a 73 Challenger because the 360 was used in 74 Challengers (one year only). If it is from a 73 it might be 340:D or a 318:( look on the side of the block the displacement should be cast in big numbers. If not look at the block right under the front of the driver's side head. There should be some numbers stamped that will tell you the displacement.

Either way if it came from a Challenger it's should have a factory performance cam if it is all original.

Last edited:
And looking at the harmonic balancer, it's not a 318:thumbsup:

And looking at the harmonic balancer, it's not a 318:thumbsup:
Haha, no it's a 360. I made sure. It is possible that I got the year of the challenger wrong. I think I should at least have a look under the heads. I want to know what pistons are in it.

If I remember right if it's a 74 360 4bbl then it's basically a 360 2bbl, with a 340 cam and a 4bbl intake and carb. Meaning it has about ~8.8 to 1 compression. If the pistons have a dish in them then 360 2bbl if they have 4 valve notch then it's like a 73 340 about 9.0 to 1

If I remember right if it's a 74 360 4bbl then it's basically a 360 2bbl, with a 340 cam and a 4bbl intake and carb. Meaning it has about ~8.8 to 1 compression. If the pistons have a dish in them then 360 2bbl if they have 4 valve notch then it's like a 73 340 about 9.0 to 1
Thank you for that info. I look forward finding out.

How do you know "it runs great" without a carburetor?

How do you know "it runs great" without a carburetor?
I would be surprised if the seller lied to me, he just struck me as a honest man and I dont think he had any reasons to lie. But of course I won't know until I run it myself.

OH........ I'm sure it's good, he took you all around his place and everything. Some people just try and bring you down......

I would be surprised if the seller lied to me, he just struck me as a honest man and I dont think he had any reasons to lie. But of course I won't know until I run it myself.

I hope it works out as well as you think it will. That will save a lot of time, trouble and aggravation.

OH........ I'm sure it's good, he took you all around his place and everything. Some people just try and bring you down......

Not how I meant it at all. I see you have no problem assuming the negative, though.

Started taking it apart today and measured valves and bore. It's all stock. These pistons are stock right? I cant really feel any ridge. Dont know if Im checking right though. Should my nail get stuck there if there was a ridge?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46e6.jpg

Stock valve sizes
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46e7.jpg

It looks really nice and clean, I suspect a previous owner has had it apart not that long ago.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46e8.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46e9.jpg

Can you tell by the picture if it's stock or if it has been some porting done?
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46ee.jpg

Springs look stock too right?
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46ec.jpg

Top dead center
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46ef.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46f2.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46f3.jpg

I did not get further today. Is there a way to measure if the heads have been milled? So it looks to be a mostly stock engine. Maybe a bit of cam and the LD340 intake. I'm thinking of having the heads milled and ported and then reuse the solid cam and valve train with adjustable rockers from my 273. Say I ever wanted to go with a hydralic cam, could I use the same valvetrain for that?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46eb.jpg

Motor looks good. I bet you could have plopped it in and she'd have run like a champ! Those heads haven't been touched, at least from the pictures. Small block mopars hardly give a ridge, especially if the oil was changed regular. Nice motor!

Motor looks good. I bet you could have plopped it in and she'd have run like a champ! Those heads haven't been touched, at least from the pictures. Small block mopars hardly give a ridge, especially if the oil was changed regular. Nice motor!
You could throw a gasket kit, change the oil pump and I'll bet it would run just fine. If it's all factory it does have the hot cam by the looks of the valve springs.

You could throw a gasket kit, change the oil pump and I'll bet it would run just fine. If it's all factory it does have the hot cam by the looks of the valve springs.
Do you have more info on that cam? And how you tell from the valve springs?

-
Back