First Project

-

BigCheese66

Reaction score
Hello, I've been going to car shows and the drag strip with my dad and his friends since I was a baby. My dad gifted me a '66 Valiant years ago, because he found a '69 dart that was a bit more complete for his build.

I have a problem with getting really excited about building my own drag car with my dad and then getting distracted by something completely different and forgetting about it. This time I think I can really commit to it.... I hope.

2 or 3 years ago I got the machine work done on a 360 LA and purchased a 408 stroker kit 11.3:1 comp and also got a 904 trans rebuilt. Besides a milodon oil pan and pick-up this is all I've purchased regarding the build.

My knowledge on cars in general is pretty limited so I'm excited to learn about and build a badass Mopar. Does anyone have any tips, issues or suggestions that I may come across with this build? Thanks in advance!

This is going to strictly be a drag car.

Last edited:
if the car wasn't originally a V8 you'll need the specific 64~66 V8 center link to clear the oil pan.

exhaust is going to be expensive, and the options are kind of limited tti, doug's, sanderson or fenderwell headers. you'll need to notch the torsion bar brace/trans brace for dual exhaust.

you'll likely need a rear end, too. so start researching that.

there's tons of build threads, read and research. the search function is pretty useful.

make a plan and stick to it. set reasonable expectations with achievable goals and you'll get the car together and rolling.

welcome to FABO

I believe I'll be getting Trick Flow heads. Also I didn't say but I'll be going with some type of roller cam but I've got zero idea on that as of now.

just curious, but what's your budget and timeline for completion like?

i ask this because sometimes a compromise of just getting the thing together and running and racing and then thinking about a monster motor can be a way forward that has a easier and more realistic goal.

this produces a tangible reward and that can motivate you because you can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel, and you're out enjoying the car rather than bogged down in the slop.

or basically, build it and get it racing and enjoy it while building a better motor on the side.

Are roller lifters even available for LA engines? Last time I checked was a big fat NO. And maybe for good reason.

just curious, but what's your budget and timeline for completion like?

i ask this because sometimes a compromise of just getting the thing together and running and racing and then thinking about a monster motor can be a way forward that has a easier and more realistic goal.

this produces a tangible reward and that can motivate you because you can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel, and you're out enjoying the car rather than bogged down in the slop.

or basically, build it and get it racing and enjoy it while building a better motor on the side.
I don't have an answer to either of these. I travel months at a time for work and being as my expenses are low and I make alright money I don't need to build something low budget. It definitely doesn't help with the motivation but as long as I keep spending money on parts I'll have a reason to stay motivated right?

Are roller lifters even available for LA engines? Last time I checked was a big fat NO. And maybe for good reason.
If that is the case then would a flat tappet be my only option? And if it wouldn't be too much trouble or too lengthy of a reply would you be able to explain why you say that may be for a good reason?

I don't have an answer to either of these. I travel months at a time for work and being as my expenses are low and I make alright money I don't need to build something low budget. It definitely doesn't help with the motivation but as long as I keep spending money on parts I'll have a reason to stay motivated right?
spending money on a whole bunch of stuff that sits in boxes and collects dust in a room would just bum me out when i came come from months on the road.

reaching goals and seeing results keeps me motivated.

i'd be kinda bummed out if i rolled back into town ready to rock and roll on my project and found out that the stuff i bought was wrong, didn't work, wasn't what i needed, etc and delayed the project.

success to projects like this start in the planning stages. i'd map out your ideas for the car and get an idea of what kind of budget you want to entirely exceed before you just start buying parts.

start with taking an inventory of what you have car wise, and what you'll need to even get the motor and trans in and the chassis modifications and components you'll need so that it will handle the amount of power you plan on.

IMG_5971.jpeg

Let me just suggest a Strange S60 for your build. Usually they have a free freight on complete rear axle assemblies like in late fall. You can get away with a spool and save some money. I have a 66 Valiant and built a stout 8.75. Once I got everything squared away at the engine end the rear end grenaded. I was hoping the light car would help it live but my engine/trans combo is a bit heavy. Tire diameter and gear will be influenced by shift points and trap rpm.Don't forget a quality driveshaft, your rear suspension and double adjustable shocks all around!!!!

Welcome from Central KY! When I was a SR in HS, my 10 plan was a 9 second Gen II Barracuda. I've never had a hot rod for more than six months at a stretch, and never a running Barracuda. Life will most certainly interfere with your plans.
My suggestion would be to get her running, even though she won't be everything you want.
Once you have her running, it'll be easier to keep your eye on the prize. Build her so you can improve on her, not have to totally rebuild her to accomplish your goals.

-
Back