first time down the track advise?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey guys, I am seriously considering hitting up the next test and tune at my local track, even though I don't have a sure grip rear end yet

the car is a 71 duster, with a 408 small block, custom torque converter, 727, 8 3/4 rear end with 3.23 gears, and N50 tires

so, what advise can you all give me?

should I avoid the burn out box since I'm running an open rear end and regular valve body?

should I let the car shift, or ratchet it through myself?

do I wait for the green light or go on the last yellow?

1st, make sure the car will pass tech. Battery anchored, radiator overflow, 2 carb springs, less than 12 inches of fuel line hose in one spot, and if you tell them your planning on going faster than 14 flat you'll need a snell helmet, seat belts are needed.
2nd, bring a few tuning tools (timing light, 1/2 inch wrench, couple of screw drivers, etc.).
3rd, If you have special compound tires, heat them up. Yes you can heat one tire, roll out a couple of feet and burn the other. If not, avoid the water. The tree matters none if you T-n-T'n. However, I'd leave when the 2nd yellow goes off. As far as shifting, you can play with that and compare whats best.
4th - HAVE FUN

thanks for the reply
I would never have thought to bring a helmet
i would image i can do better then a 14 sec
not sure if my tires are special compound...they are mickey Thompson Indy profiles
its about an hour and a half from home to the track, so they will be warm when i get there

I'd burn those mickey's till a slight haze...... trial and error will let ya know.... Can't wait to see the results

Not sure how basic the answer has to be. Single track rear and I assume no lineloc? I would drive around the water and just whack it a few times behind the line to clean the tries as best you can. Pay attention and take your time. Just drive the car if it's not a manual valve body. Learn how to pre-stage and then just bump into the stage beams. Being able to do this the same way everytime is critical and it takes practice. Know where the finish line is and don't drive beyond it. Learn to do the basic things to get the car from the front of the staging lanes to the finish line. Learn how to read your time slip and what the numbers mean. Leave on the last yellow and concentrate on doing everything the same way everytime, once you are satisfied with your procedure. Watch your reaction time and learn how to make it quicker or slower as needed. Ask questions at the track, there are no dumb questions. Watch how experienced, successful racers do it. And I mean from the time they come out of the lanes until they leave the starting line. Good drivers do it exactly the same everytime like a machine. Once you are satisfied with your grasp of all of that, then you can turn your attention to the car and making it better as you improve and learn. Seat time and practice.

Pay attention to the tree operator. If they line you up with a full on race car be polite and don't let him burn down at the tree. Pull up when you are signaled. Staging is tricky sometimes, if you don't have solid bulbs or are deep staged the red light can burn you pretty easy.

With a 408 and a open rear, I bet its gonna be really hard to launch...... but just have fun and get comfortable going through the process!

The best advice I have is take your time. Don't worry about bein slow. In fact, When I was racin, if it had been along time since my last pass, I put putted down the strip maybe 55 or 60 to get the feel of it and see where all the bumps are.

It's not like you're not gonna have more runs so do it smart. No need to try to deep stage or anything fancy first time out. You're gonna be excited enough as it is.

So my advice is do the exact opposite of what people expect from a race......go slow the first time.

Not sure how basic the answer has to be. Single track rear and I assume no lineloc? I would drive around the water and just whack it a few times behind the line to clean the tries as best you can. Pay attention and take your time. Just drive the car if it's not a manual valve body. Learn how to pre-stage and then just bump into the stage beams. Being able to do this the same way everytime is critical and it takes practice. Know where the finish line is and don't drive beyond it. Learn to do the basic things to get the car from the front of the staging lanes to the finish line. Learn how to read your time slip and what the numbers mean. Leave on the last yellow and concentrate on doing everything the same way everytime, once you are satisfied with your procedure. Watch your reaction time and learn how to make it quicker or slower as needed. Ask questions at the track, there are no dumb questions. Watch how experienced, successful racers do it. And I mean from the time they come out of the lanes until they leave the starting line. Good drivers do it exactly the same everytime like a machine. Once you are satisfied with your grasp of all of that, then you can turn your attention to the car and making it better as you improve and learn. Seat time and practice.

Sounds all good here. Let the auto shift itself till you get comfortable. That is what you are there for.

thanks for all the advise guys
this Friday is monster midnight madness (whatever that means) so i may hold off until next week, just to get a calmer evening to run at

Pay attention to the tree operator. If they line you up with a full on race car be polite and don't let him burn down at the tree. Pull up when you are signaled. Staging is tricky sometimes, if you don't have solid bulbs or are deep staged the red light can burn you pretty easy.

"burn down at the tree" i have no idea what that means

If you watch a couple of folks stage, I'm sure you'll do just fine. Maybe visit the big end (the finish line) and see exactly where it is. The workers in the stage/burn out area will help if you need it. It's a lot safer than on the street. No kids on bicycles, no pedestrians, no "on-coming" traffic, etc etc. If something gets squirrelly, get out of it (let off the gas!!). You'll do just fine. I'd ease out of the lights to test the traction. You'll get a feel for it in a hurry. Don't let other people make you nervous. They've all seen red lights, people asleep at the lights, etc. etc.

Try to go on last yellow. Don't worry about reaction time, it's not related to the ET you run. The clocks start when your car leaves the starting line beams, not when the green light goes on.

Watch where the cars are staging. Some of the funnier things is watching newbies trying to stage BEYOND the tree!!! Or staging with the back tires... Get to the line in a timely manner and all will be good.

Burning someone down is having them sit with the pre stage or Stage light on, especially up on a transbrake or against the converter.

A lot of good advice here. Pay attention to the track workers and do as they direct you. I'd avoid the water with the tires you have even if it had a sure grip.

Remember, even professionals had a first trip down the strip so have fun.

I got all kinds of advice when I went the first time. I went through the burnout box, I courtesy staged, I went on the third light, blah, blah, blah. The first time you'll be a little nervous not knowing what to do. After that your biggest problem will be wiping the smile off your face. Be prepared to have a poor first run, but once you get the idea you'll do just fine. The burnout box is a preference. I go through the water and burnout. I hook very well. I go on the second to last light, but I'm riding a line lock and it jumps faster. Have fun and be prepared to get hooked.

Those are street tires stay away from the water box..single track with street tires probably not going to hook..leave on the last yellow if you see green your late..

This + feather the throttle to get out of the hole with a street tire and open rear. Have fun!

Know the track past the finish line. Know where the turnouts are and how many. Know where the other car is especially if you need to cross his lane to get off the track. Drive down there and get a good look before you go down the track. Especially if its dark as most tracks dont have much lighting down there. Never back up or make a u-turn on the track. I have seen it done,many times. Track personal watch closely to make sure you get off the track.

I'm thinking of brining a buddy for camera purposes

In the mean time....any guesses on E.T.s?

Guessing an ET for a first time out combo with a one legger would purely be a guess as potential ETs could be all over the place. MPH on the other hand...

How much MRL-dynoed horsepower did you say you had?

If its a test and tune, RRR is right, ease into it, you don't want to break anything right away. each time you pass, push it a little more, get a feel for the car's "happy spot' or power band . In my experience, a car has its sweet spot where it makes optimum power, just try and find it and then tweak from there.

My suggestion is to let the auto do its thing. Put it in drive. And let it handle the rest. You'll have your hands full just keeping straight on the track and concentrating. Trust me, 12 seconds is a lot faster in the car than you think it is. The first run you'll probably just be holding onto the steering wheel and smiling. Get a feel for what the car likes. And get more bold as you feel more confident.

My 408 will do 11s with a 4.10 and cheater slicks but I've shaved off a lot of weight with fiberglass body panels. I was only running a 2500 stall then. Mike dyno'd mine at 520. Some of these really well prepped tracks are really gummy at the starting line but it'll likely still want to slip for you with just one wheel pulling. I think you'll be into the low 13s with no problem.

The first time I went racing (back in the 70s) I was so nervous. My first concern was to avoid looking like an idiot. (I still had hope back then) My second concern was trying to beat the Chevelle that had lined up next to me. The adrenaline was really pumping and I caught a good light but the Chevelle launched quicker. Going down the track I was pulling on him and forgot all about shifting. The 383 didn't like the revs and a rod bolt gave way just before the end of the quarter. We had to tow rope the Roadrunner back home.

So, take it EASY. Relax. Have a good time. Run everything through your head a few times before you actually line up. If your 408 revs as fast as mine those shift points are there before you know it.

-
Back