First Time Out At Fontana Auto Club Dragway

-
The street tires will limit your traction very much, your 12 sec. goal should be no problem. A combination like this should go 11.5´s easily with better hooking tires.Go and have some fun!

Michael

So I took my 408 69 Convertible Dart there. Would not let run, would not pass tech, no roll bar, they said it is too fast. "Let me run it to find out" I said. They said, turn it on, I did, they said, too fast....:wtf:
Check out an
And needed SFI approved seat belts. Factory ones not good enough. :BangHead:
Actually, factory belts qualify, before aftermarket 4 and 5 point harnesses.. in the day... Talk to that tracks, lead tech.. HOLD THEM ,ACCOUNTABLE

Check out an

Actually, factory belts qualify, before aftermarket 4 and 5 point harnesses.. in the day... Talk to that tracks, lead tech.. HOLD THEM ,ACCOUNTABLE
The guy at the track is doing his job. Best to read the rules and set your car up accordingly. If your OEM convertible flips you're done.
DRIVER RESTRAINT SYSTEM Seat belt mandatory in all cars. Driver restraint system meeting SFI Spec 16.1 mandatory in any car running 11.49 (*7.35) or quicker, in convertibles running 13.49 (*8.25) or quicker, and all dune-buggy-type vehicles running 12.00 (*7.50) or slower. SFI 16.1 restraint system, when required, includes crotch strap and must be updated at two-year intervals from date of manufacture. See General Regulations 10:5, 10:11.

Try to find an IHRA sanctioned track. They tend to be a little looser on the tech inspection, especially if you are not there to race as you stated.

The guy at the track is doing his job. Best to read the rules and set your car up accordingly. If your OEM convertible flips you're done.
DRIVER RESTRAINT SYSTEM Seat belt mandatory in all cars. Driver restraint system meeting SFI Spec 16.1 mandatory in any car running 11.49 (*7.35) or quicker, in convertibles running 13.49 (*8.25) or quicker, and all dune-buggy-type vehicles running 12.00 (*7.50) or slower. SFI 16.1 restraint system, when required, includes crotch strap and must be updated at two-year intervals from date of manufacture. See General Regulations 10:5, 10:11.
Agreed..

Your Duster looks awesome. I seem to remember seeing one similar up for sale not too long ago, maybe this is it.

I'd love to make it out there that day if I could.

Your Duster looks awesome. I seem to remember seeing one similar up for sale not too long ago, maybe this is it.

I'd love to make it out there that day if I could.

Thanks man! I bought my Duster off craigslist in Feb of 2016. If you ever find yourself heading out to Fontana, feel free to message me as I would love to meet some FABO racing guys.

Give it a fresh set of plugs before making a single pass.

When to change plugs probably depends on your particular motor build and drive time. I ran some rather cold plugs in my full competition cammed small block. Cruising Main St. on the weekends (bumper to bumper traffic) probably fouled the plugs up a bit. My preference was to be one of the first cars down the track and make a "warm-up" run on the old plugs (not using my usual full throttle power shifting). At higher RPM's, I found the motor sounded like crap.

Then I came back to the pit area and changed the plugs right away. It ran fine after that. In my own mind, that first run was just blowing some of the crap out of the cylinders that the street driving had whipped up. But who knows.

65 Valiant2.jpg

Think there's a few of us around here. Once I get my dart up and running will be out at fonatana to test it out, and with a few of us around if anyone ever needs help, reach out, if your near riverside thats where I am.

Last edited:
When to change plugs probably depends on your particular motor build and drive time. I ran some rather cold plugs in my full competition cammed small block. Cruising Main St. on the weekends (bumper to bumper traffic) probably fouled the plugs up a bit. My preference was to be one of the first cars down the track and make a "warm-up" run on the old plugs (not using my usual full throttle power shifting). At higher RPM's, I found the motor sounded like crap.

Then I came back to the pit area and changed the plugs right away. It ran fine after that. In my own mind, that first run was just blowing some of the crap out of the cylinders that the street driving had whipped up. But who knows.

View attachment 1715131581
Considering your combination, just a fact of life.

Thanks man! I bought my Duster off craigslist in Feb of 2016. If you ever find yourself heading out to Fontana, feel free to message me as I would love to meet some FABO racing guys.

I just got my rebuilt motor in like your self. if i can get some bugs worked out by then and a break in period done I am def down to join!

-
Back