FiTech EFI system

-
Go for the cheapie. Wasted my money on the MSD dizzy and now my tach jumps.

Called MSD tech they said interference so I moved the wires all by themselves. No help. Called again. Buy the shielded wire. I did. Same thing. Guess I’ll call again so they can talk down to me some more.

I read somewhere that there's an updated flash to the handheld that is desirable if you are going to control timing. Does anyone have that update?

I read somewhere that there's an updated flash to the handheld that is desirable if you are going to control timing. Does anyone have that update?

You have to contact FiTech so they can email you the zip file with the update.

I dont know why but its like a big secret.

If you are not on the FB group, join it. There is so much good info there. I haven't purchased my unit yet, but I have been following the posts.

Is yours up and running or are you just getting setup? If so, how has it been working for you?

I'm about to put a Walbro 450lph in-tank pump in, and was wondering if I could run/extend the fitech fuel pump control wire to a Solid State Relay in back and still use the fitech to control the PWM to the Walbro pump via the SS relay???

I don't feel comfortable running a 14g wire all the way back to my fuel tank and have it supply 20A. SS relays are not like simple bosch style relays.

where did you get 20A from? I need to reread the manual. Going thru a relay I dont think the ECU could vary the voltage to the pump????? Don't remember the ecu pump supply wire being 14G,, maybe. Mine works fine,, pump is only at 100% under highest demand, ei,, full throttle

I don't feel comfortable running a 14g wire all the way back to my fuel tank and have it supply 20A. SS relays are not like simple bosch style relays.
14g wire should be OK for 20A at 15' - although to be fair I'm not exactly sure what the color codes mean in this table: 12 Volt Wiring Tech: Gauge to Amps | Offroaders.com

Engineering Toolbox shows a much larger wire, though - 10g @ 15', 20A:
Amps and Wire Gauge - 12V Circuit

For short term use, say 12 seconds at a time, I think I'd be OK with it. You could always put a 20A fuse in line and see if it actually pulls that much current at WOT.

I'm about to put a Walbro 450lph in-tank pump in, and was wondering if I could run/extend the fitech fuel pump control wire to a Solid State Relay in back and still use the fitech to control the PWM to the Walbro pump via the SS relay???

I would check with FItech, but I think all Walboro pumps need to be set to 100% Pwm in the handheld, because of the pump design. Then I am sure you can us a relay.

I will see if I can find it.

Last edited:
Here is what the FItech FB group has to say:

You can use a STD relay fired by the orange wire or you can power the pump directly with the orange wire but in both cases you need to set the fuel pump pwm to 100%. The internal relay in the FiTech is good for up to 15 amps so as long as the pump draws less there is no relay required.

Which way would be better in buying the 3002, with FiTech's fuel pump package, or just getting the base 3002 getting the Walbro 450lph in tank fuel pump? My intentions are to buy a new fuel tank from TANKS set up for EFI. I'm not sure just what fuel pump that they use, but am assuming that it is a Walbro 255 unit.

Which way would be better in buying the 3002, with FiTech's fuel pump package, or just getting the base 3002 getting the Walbro 450lph in tank fuel pump? My intentions are to buy a new fuel tank from TANKS set up for EFI. I'm not sure just what fuel pump that they use, but am assuming that it is a Walbro 255 unit.

I went with the Tanks Inc setup (tank, pump, & sending unit) on both of my FiTech projects (3002 & 3004). Both used the Walbro 255 pump. One has been running more than a year and a half, the other about 6 months without issues. The 3004 is in a Duster w/ 426w that I ran at the track, it performed superbly...

I agree. Go with the tanks, inc setup with the appropriate Walboro pump. Do not use their Fuel command center or their inline pump, it just isn't worth the headaches.

When you go to order the Tanks, inc setup (order it from Summit, best deal and free shipping) visit the Tanks, inc site first for the part number of the tank and you will be given some options for what pump and sending unit to get.

I have the Tanks system mentioned (EFI tank,in tank pump, fuel sender, LS filter/regulator) The only issue I have is the Tanks fuel sender is causing the fuel gauge swing a lot as the fuel sloshes.

I have the Tanks system mentioned (EFI tank,in tank pump, fuel sender, LS filter/regulator) The only issue I have is the Tanks fuel sender is causing the fuel gauge swing a lot as the fuel sloshes.

I did the aeromotive phantom but I had to modify my floor but the OE sender is still in there. Cost is about the same though.

All,

An update on my FiTech and how it has handled the freezing and sub zero temps.

Around 20-30 degrees car started on 2 cranks and after a IAC adjustment it now starts first time, also with some idleing and throttle inputs in the garage. I tried -2 below and it took 4 cranks, but after some similar learning it now fires first time albeit a bit flux on the rpm for 30 secs.

This was one of the reasons I bit the bullet on this buy. Overall still very pleased. With the Eddie Airgap, XE274 cam and RHS/Indy heads the throttle response is wickedly good. I just want to "rap" the throttle all the time, specially in the subdivision in first gear lol..........Flowmaster 40's and 3 inch exhaust, it 's sounds way meaner than it really is but that's the point right!!

FYI,
Marion

All,

An update on my FiTech and how it has handled the freezing and sub zero temps.

Around 20-30 degrees car started on 2 cranks and after a IAC adjustment it now starts first time, also with some idleing and throttle inputs in the garage. I tried -2 below and it took 4 cranks, but after some similar learning it now fires first time albeit a bit flux on the rpm for 30 secs.

This was one of the reasons I bit the bullet on this buy. Overall still very pleased. With the Eddie Airgap, XE274 cam and RHS/Indy heads the throttle response is wickedly good. I just want to "rap" the throttle all the time, specially in the subdivision in first gear lol..........Flowmaster 40's and 3 inch exhaust, it 's sounds way meaner than it really is but that's the point right!!

FYI,
Marion

-
Back