Frickin Colorado Dept of Revenue!!

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
So, kind of a rant here.

My wife and I had our taxes done on Feb 2 and they didn't get filed until Feb 14 per awaiting the education credit crap that was going on. We claimed the standard deduction and did not itemize.

Well we get a letter from the state of Colorado a few weeks later stating that we claimed "charitable contributions" as an itemized deduction on our Fed return so they had to "correct" our state return from $390 down to $269!!!

I immediately called our tax professional (Terrie at H&R Block) and she put together the appropriate paperwork for me to come in and pick up to send to the dept of revenue. It was a copy of our federal return showing that the box to claim itemized deductions WAS NOT CHECKED!! I mailed that with a copy of the "correction letter" the state sent me, a new state return form, and a personal letter from myself stating my dis-satisfaction with them.

This was their mistake as they either assumed or carelessly reviewed our return. It was nothing we had done, everything on our end is correct.

Fastforward several weeks after sending the letter/forms I just received a letter from them stating that "they have already handled a return for this tax period so thus they did not process our return, and if you are attempting to change the filed return, you must amend your return using the appropriate form!!!!"

This is frickin rediculous!!! We didn't change anything, we don't need to change anything. We just need the money owed to us because of their screw up!!! They paid us the $269 already, we just want the $121 owed to us.
Man this made me so angry when we opened that letter!

H&R Block told me that they've had several clients come in with the same letters and said that it's just the state's way of holding onto our money longer. And, more than likely, they're betting that most won't go through the hassle of sending in the paperwork and doing the work to get the money back.

Here is a copy of the letter I personally wrote and included in the envelope:

To whom this may concern, 2/23/2013

Concerning our federal and state tax forms and returns, and the letter we received from you (copy included); we did not claim any “itemized deductions” on our federal tax forms as you will see on the included forms, but claimed the standard deduction. This must have been overlooked or a mistake was made by whoever looked at the forms previously; please inspect carefully this time. (i.e., box left unchecked for claiming itemized deductions)
We work very hard for our money and unlike the millions of undocumented workers in the United States and the State of Colorado; we pay taxes on our income and expect to get back what is due-fully and rightfully ours, just as much as I’m sure you do as well.

Sincerely and respectfully,.........................

I'm so frustrated right now. I know it's only $121 and some people didn't get anything and some people owed but gosh dang it; I worked hard for that dough.
Anyways, rant over I guess.

Sucks! and HnR are probably right, but I quit going to them over 20 years ago. Not happy with the service I was getting from them. Nowadays everyone does them thru the net, so I would rather pay someone to take a little more time to make sure its "right"

Yeah, i've been going to hnr since 2001 and when I moved here to colorado I've been seeing the same gal since 2006. She really knows her stuff and has been extremely helpful.

i didnt get anything from the state ....but got a couple hundred bucks from the federal which i was soooooo excited ....the first year in 3 years i didnt have to pay. two years ago i had to pay $1300. which was soooo bad bcoz thats more than i make in a month LOL

finally got a break for being a self employed student who pays her own way through school.

Haven't sent mine in yet, at the tax preparers now. I hope the state doesn't mess with mine!

Good luck on getting it straightened out!!!

don't feel bad, my wife and I owe the state and fed every year. they must think we have deep pockets. we don't.

"Oops"..................... that is what they will say.

UPDATE:

Tax lady called and said she has to again, resend all the info that was already sent plus the receipt for charitable contributions.

The lady she talked to said that they didn't have anything on record of receiving anything or sending that last letter out!!!! They obviously received the previous info in order to send the last letter!! Talk about scary. These people are frickin chickens runnin around with their heads cut off!!....and dealing with our money!!!

-
Back