Front mounted rack and pinion

-
Do a search on here. I was looking for info on the mustang II that's in my car. I found a post about somebody doing it to there car. But I don't remember the users name

The stock suspension geometry does not lend itself to front steer modification. Like younggun said, Ackerman and bump steer are serious problems. I've seen it done, but, on drag race only cars. Basically they didn't address that the car would be a disaster to drive in anything other than a straight line because that's all it was supposed to do. Not that I agree with that either.

If you want a front steer rack and you want your car to actually drive well you basically have to convert the front suspension. RMS Alterkation, Hemi Denny, Gerst, etc.

I really don't understand the rack and pinion thing. I mean, sure, they're neat and all but they're not that much of an improvement if your steering box isn't worn out. Certainly not to warrant the amount of money/time necessary to do it right.

You can do it. It's not hard if you can fit and weld it's pretty simple and basic.

Take the lower ball joints and swap them side to side. Now it's front steer. Mount the rack correctly and they you can correct for bump steer by bending the LBJ or moving the rack if you are off too much.

The Ackerman was so close as to be not an issue. I wasn't the first to do it. It can be done, done safely. If you are real tricky, you can remove the entire K member, make your own frame and still use the T bars. Then use and engine and mid plate. I eventually did that too. It's all simple fabrication.

-
Back