Front Pump Bushing Question

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
So, boldly going where this man has never gone before, and am attempting to replace the front seal and bushing on my Duster. It's a SB 727. So far things have come apart surprisingly smooth without issue. (Knocking on wood!) Going to order the new seals, gaskets and bushing tonight.

Planning to replace the shifter seals as well while it's out.

Any suggestions/recommendations on brands? The old bushing is a clevite piece.

This book has helped alot
20170806_144145.jpg

20170806_141755.jpg

20170806_141438.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Pat

Last edited:
There are 3 types of bushings used in the 727 / A518, A618 and the 48RE. They'll all fit, and unless they came from China or the far east somewhere they are usually made by Clevite.
A breakdown for you:
727: 1962 - on Babbit material
1962 - on Bronze
A518/618/48RE: 1990-on Either babbit material or like yours dimpled bronze.

Most rebuilders I know prefer the stock 727 babbit bushing vs the bronze, as they say the bronze bushing is hard on the converter hub and will cause premature wear on it.
However, when the dimpled bronze bushing came out, there was a swing to the use of that bushing. Some claim it provided better lubrication in that area.
I should point out that converter hubs today are made of a better quality material ( I believe flame hardened is buzz phrase) so the bronze bushing may no longer be an issue.

Make damn sure the bushing is installed correctly (straight in the pump housing) or you'll have an issue for sure. If you've got a friendly transmission shop locally take the pump and the bushing to them and see if they can press it in for you using a bushing driver.

Have a very close look at the pump hub. It should look like the journals on a crankshaft, nice and smooth with no nicks or any indication of wear at either where the pump seal of the bushing rides on the hub.

A Chevy 350 Turbo bushing is the same O.D. but 1/8" wider to give a little more support. Been using them for a few yrs. Just gotta make sure and not drive it in so deep it hits the stator.

Make damn sure the bushing is installed correctly (straight in the pump housing) or you'll have an issue for sure. If you've got a friendly transmission shop locally take the pump and the bushing to them and see if they can press it in for you using a bushing driver.

Hey Transman,

I took your suggestion and brought the housing, new bushing and seal to a local transmission shop. Pulled in to find the place jammed with work. Every bay was full, cars lined up etc. Apparently union a strike at the dealers in the area has pushed a ton of work to the shop. In any case, I went in thinking they might say they were too busy. Exhausted looking Manager asked what I was working on and when I told him it was a Duster, he says, "give me the parts, we'll knock it out for you". Turns out he and the tech that did the work for me are both Mopar guys! They had the bushing and seal done in no time for a whopping 10 bucks. We chatted a bit about a few of their cars, Satellite, Charger, Dart and they said to come back if I need help with anything be it brakes, differential or anything else. So not only did I get the bushing installed properly but found a place nearby that I can go to if the need arises.

Soooo, thanks for the suggestion!
Pat

Hey Transman,

I took your suggestion and brought the housing, new bushing and seal to a local transmission shop. Pulled in to find the place jammed with work. Every bay was full, cars lined up etc. Apparently union a strike at the dealers in the area has pushed a ton of work to the shop. In any case, I went in thinking they might say they were too busy. Exhausted looking Manager asked what I was working on and when I told him it was a Duster, he says, "give me the parts, we'll knock it out for you". Turns out he and the tech that did the work for me are both Mopar guys! They had the bushing and seal done in no time for a whopping 10 bucks. We chatted a bit about a few of their cars, Satellite, Charger, Dart and they said to come back if I need help with anything be it brakes, differential or anything else. So not only did I get the bushing installed properly but found a place nearby that I can go to if the need arises.

Soooo, thanks for the suggestion!
Pat
Glad to hear that all went well for you Pat. Despite what is often thought of transmission shops (some warranted) there are lots of shops that will help for minor repairs such as yours. Just remember to double check the hub on the converter. Like my previous post said, the hub must be as smooth as a babys' butt.

-
Back