Fuel requirement from /6 to 440

-

440DART1970

1970 Dart 446ci Swinger
Reaction score
Slant 6 to 440

Few questions with the fuel lines.
I will either be running a mechanical fuel pump or an electric pump.. do I need to change the size of the fuel line from the /6 now that I have a 440 big block. Are the v8 gas lines larger?

Ty fabo

What size should be V8... stupid question but how can I find out what size I have now

electric fuel pump, yes. at least a 3/8" dia. line including the sending unit. I think there was also a 1/2" dia. model available. I would not use a mechanical pump but that is my preference. I would install a return style regulator with the electric pump. Good luck and enjoy the torque!

Bullshit , I pull fuel through a 5 /16 fuel line with a mechanical pump feeding TWO Eddy 1406's and NEVER run dry
REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE
rb239_zpscaopm0zw-1.jpg

5/16 line will support 500 plus HP with a good pump and furl system. Chrysler used 5/16 on everything except the most powerful engines it made.

5/16 line will support 500 plus HP with a good pump and furl system. Chrysler used 5/16 on everything except the most powerful engines it made.
So...What Holley pump should I run? Electric or mechanical. And any specifics i need?

Either style pump is available to support your engine. Personal preference will dictate what you run.

Every time I recommend something, somebody comes along and trashes me so I will leave it right there.

Either style pump is available to support your engine. Personal preference will dictate what you run.

Every time I recommend something, somebody comes along and trashes me so I will leave it right there.
I like and appreciate everyone's opinions. Everybody has their own thoughts in their own ideas.. I welcome all... I don't appreciate people who trash others.. so please do go ahead and let me know what you think.. what style and brand as this is my first 440 project and I want to do it right the first time.

1978 RV 440 motor. +30 0ver = 446ci 10.35.to1 fordged TRW Speed Pro pistons, Steel crank internally balanced. Comp cams .488 ,491 lift - Duration @.006 274, 286. 915 heads slightly cleaned up ports, upgraded vale train & Springs, Johnson BB lifters, Aluminum water pump housing and water pump, Speed Pro Harmonic balancer, Holley Street Dominator intake, QuickJet SS-750 mechanical DP, MSD 6AL, MSD 8546 race distributer and coil, Schumacker Ceramic coated Tri-Y header, Motor mounts and Torque arm.

1970 Dodge Dart Swinger California car brought to east coast 15 months ago, rust free. .920 torsion bars, Kelsey Hayes 4 Piston caliper disk brake set up, Mancini rear HD race leaf springs and shackels, 8 3/4 a body rear with sure grip center with 3.55 gears with 11in Chrysler New Yorker rear drums. 727 trans 2400 stall speed manual vale body (undecided) and God only knows what else I forgot..

It does get old doesn't it. That's why I pretty much stopped. Hell look what happened in this very thread. People seem to think I'm just talking out my *** , and they probably take a bus to work. I even provided a picture of my junk

It does get old doesn't it. That's why I pretty much stopped. Hell look what happened in this very thread. People seem to think I'm just talking out my *** , and they probably take a bus to work. I even provided a picture of my junk

I saw a picture of your engine........I'd rather not see a picture of your junk.

yeah, I hear you. there are some "know -it-alls" on the forum who are all too eager to declare everybody who doesn't think like them to be dumbasses. But judge for yourself.
I believe all our classic era Mopars(/6, included) were 5/16" dia. fuel lines, except for Hemi, and 440 six pack. If a mech pump and 5/16" lines were good enough back then, they can work now, too. This is not to say that 3/8" won't work, too, but is it really necessary? I don't think so, especially if we're talking "street" car. I'm not a big fan of electric fuel pumps, they complicate things, they're noisy, and they can be fragile. If you don't need these extra complexities, why even go there?

Yup. And for a "street only" car you can probably push that horsepower number up a bit.

If I have to buy new lines I usually buy 3/8", they don't cost much more and if I ever decide I need big horsepower I have one less thing to change and it doesn't really hurt anything in the meantime. But if the lines don't need to be replaced because of their condition I don't worry about it.

As far as fuel pumps go, I personally prefer mechanical. Again, this is for street cars. I just like the simplicity, and not having to wire in a rollover cut off switch. I use a Carter M6270 "strip super" mechanical pump with a fuel pressure regulator on my Duster, that pump was cranking out about 8 psi on my car with a 3/8" line so I needed to dial it back a little with the regulator for my 750 double pumper. On my Challenger I ran the same stock replacement mechanical fuel pump for like 7 years and probably 50k miles, and it was on the car when I got it so who knows how old it was.

The only way I'd go electric would be to go to EFI, and if I did that I'd get a new fuel tank with an in-tank pump. Might as well do it right.

I'm well over 500 and run the 5/16 line.
A lot has to do with the power/rpm= what your doing with it...but mostly the 5/16 line is plenty good enough.

Op, the slant cars have the same fuel line diameter as the 340 cars and even b/rb.

Last edited:
-
Back