Gas tank leak

-

downsr

Reaction score
New tank leaking around seal and locking ring.Where can i buy the correct seal and ring.Thanks

Hi,

I am looking for the same parts. The after market lock rings are too thin.

The Mopar retainer lock ring number is 1730095 which I've ben told is no loner available but, it was used through the 80's on K cars so there may be some out there somewhere.

The seal number is 1948757 which has been superseded to 3404451 which I've been told in on indefinite back order.

Good luck, if you find a source of these parts let us know.

Oreillys can special order a new lock ring and seal for like $6.

Take it apart and use some white lithium grease on the rubber gasket both sides, thin coat to where you hardly see any black on the gasket. Never had one leak when installing them like that.

I had the same problem on mine, but the shop was able to reuse my old one. I read somewhere (maybe on an old post from this forum) that the Dorman rings are fairly thick. Those are available for order from Autozone. I haven't tried it, but I have never had any problems with returning items there, so it may be worth a shot.

Do you have the old lock ring from the old tank? If so, use it.

Ditto, reuse stock ring. The one that came with my sender was way to loose. Use the new gasket and old ring and your gold. Also ditto what Maddart said, lube the gasket a bit.

Do not have old one.I was thinking some one posted dmt sold the thicker ones.

Had the same problem with a new sending unit. Gave the old unit and ring to a member. I found a red permatex that does not harden used for fuel that worked for me.

Get the stainless steel locking ring, Item # MREQELRSS from Mancini. While your at it get the rubber gasket too, Item # MREQESUG. This is the only locking ring that I could get to work.
http://www.manciniracing.com/hardware1.html
Also, if all else fails, use Permatex PermaShield on both sides of the rubber gasket. http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-permashield-fuel-resistant-gasket-dressing-flange-sealant-detail

That's the stuff, I thought it was red! LOL

Got one from dorman and mancini .Will measure and see which one is thicker and use it.Will try the lithium grease and the locking tool.Thanks for your guys help

I have 2 extra oem ones if you still need one pm me. They defiantly fit much better.

I compared the after market one with the OEM and it looks like the part that is bent upwards to lock the sending unit in is not as long or as high. Probably can just bend it up and it will work. I have to post a few pics. Kind of hard to explain.

I had the same problem and determined that I had not tightened the lock ring to the last stop. I thought I had tightened it all of the way but I was mistaken.

-
Back