Gaskets and part numbers for rear gear swap.

-

cpearce

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I will be changing my 8 3/4 center shortly and wonder if anyone can help me with the parts numbers for gaskets and seals I will need to complete the job. I already have the gasket that goes between carrier and housing. Thank you.

Is that all you're doing, swapping out the entire center section?

If you are replacing the innards of the center section then you will need other items.
I have a brand new freshly rebuilt chunk to swap in. I thought I might need axle seals after sliding axles out to remove center section.

I thought I might need axle seals after sliding axles out to remove center section.

Well, it's kinda up to you, they are fairly easy to swap out. If they aren't leaking they are probably OK.

One thing you don't want to do is allow the axle to 'hang' on the seal, when you slide the axles out, slide them far enough to clear the seal before allowing it to hang (or pull them all the way out).

Going back in just be very careful and slow. The splines can sometimes nick the seal, OR you can inadvertently knock the spring off the back side of the seal.

Just take your time and you should be GTG.

Well, it's kinda up to you, they are fairly easy to swap out. If they aren't leaking they are probably OK.

One thing you don't want to do is allow the axle to 'hang' on the seal, when you slide the axles out, slide them far enough to clear the seal before allowing it to hang (or pull them all the way out).

Going back in just be very careful and slow. The splines can sometimes nick the seal, OR you can inadvertently knock the spring off the back side of the seal.

Just take your time and you should be GTG.
Thank you, I've not done this particular job before. Almost rebuilt entire rest of car, but never swapped a centersection. Lol

-
Back