Getting back into it

-

Dartswinger70

Reaction score
I am moving my 340 Swinger out of storage on Saturday. It has been in storage for a while. I won't say how long . I had to build a garage on my property to have a place to finish the car. Sometimes it takes a project to get to the project. I have relied on friends in the past but that didn't seem to get the car done so it is going to be a solo act from here out with some things jobbed out. Anyway I am re introducing myself and looking forward to finishing my Mopar. I am sure I will be using this forum for assistance so thank you in advance!:blob:

Looking forward to following your restoration. My last Swinger was a '70. Post some pictures!

Here is the tow home setup. Yes that is an old Ford Ranger. It worked for its keep that day.

Attachments

• Dart tow.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 269
Welcome back, nice to meet you.

It will be interesting to watch your progress. I am completely new to this. So I hope to learn from watching your work to come. Best of luck.

Congrats on the garage! I understand completely. After painting cars outside and accumulating numerous projects I finally had a 60 X 40 built and am still working on that project in conjunction with the cars inside it! :p

I wanted to post some pics. I am anxiously awaiting the warm weather. As you can see, my garage right now is kind of cluttered and unfinished so keep in mind I still have alot of work to do before I can get "full swing " on the Dart. The engine compartment was started first because I was in a situation where the car had to move under its own power ( which it does with some hard wiring to a points distributor). My garage is still under construction also, it is not heated and insulated as of yet so the weather is a challenge right now, I can wrench, but not use body/paint products as of yet.

Attachments

• DSCN0045[1].jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCN0051[1].jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN0053[1].jpg
    44 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN0054[1].jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCN0055[1].jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCN0056[1].jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN0057[1].jpg
    30 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCN0058[1].jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCN0059[1].jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCN0060[1].jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 208
...and some more

Attachments

• DSCN0044.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN0046.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCN0047.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCN0048.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCN0049.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN0050.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN0052.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 184
I spent a few hours today bolting up body panels and aligning them. Aligning doors and fenders is alot of fun, let me tell ya! I am going to bolt everything up and align everything then do the body work with everythong bolted in place. Then disassemble and cut in and paint. I am taking this route from advice from another member and his body project on this forum. I will post some pics when I get the panels aligned, and when I am ready to start the body filler /prep part of this project. I pcked up a gallon of 2K primer last fall, so I have supplies to keep me moving on this. Now, all I need is time. It sucks working for a living but it is a catch 22, without the job, no funsds for the Mopar project LOL!! If you notice the above pics, the passenger side rear quarte has been replaced, and you can see, I started body work in that area. It had sideswipe damage, as well as the passenger door. When I bought the car in 1993, it had a junkyard passenger door on it. The doors are from a donor car, they are rust free as is most of the car. It has been garage kept since 1993. It was never on a roitisserie, and I beleive I can safely say it is 90-95% rust free only because the under carriage was not taken down to bare metal. I will post some pics of the car in "bare metal " stage.

I think all garages look like that. Mine always do. Keep plugging away. My progress has been dismally slow over the winter but starting back up again lately.

Welcome back and nice project you have:coffee2: Love those Darts! LOL... Any questions fire away.

Dave,

I haven't been too good at keeping up with this thread, my apologies. I took off work Monday, and the weather and temp felt just right for spraying 2K primer on the Dart. The body is epoxy primer over bare metal, then body/filler work, then this coat of 2K. I was down to metal in spots and didn'
Dart 2K Primer.jpg
t want the car to sit over the cold season with bare metal exposed. On to the next phase. The body isn't 100% but I am ready to block and guide coat. For those thinking about doing this, go for it, collect the tools, read some books, watch some Youtube videos and just go for it! :)

Last edited:
-
Back