Getting my first real-time, EFI Dyno tune today for $500

-

jbc426

Reaction score
I'll post some pics and update with the final result of my factory ECM controlled EFI'd 5.9 (actually a 408 or 6.6 Magnum) being set-up, run for baseline & tuned with a wideband on a dyno this morning.

I'm running 40 lbs Ford racing injectors, a surge tank style fuel system, a Hughes Big Mouth modified factory throttle body and the factory JTEC EFI computer reflashed using an SCT hand-held Tuner.

I have been running a tune that was done by a guy across the country and arrived at by sending him feedback with the wideband readings I got. It seems to run well, but I've wondered if this technique left untapped power on the table. I have some Hughes Super Prep'd and hand worked Eddies on the motor with 10.2 to 1 compression and a healthy Hughes custom (.555/540 lift, 246/252 @ .050 on a 108 lobe separation angle) hydraulic roller. The thing runs very good now, but I just need to know if it is optimized....yes, I am addicted to performance still. If I had it to do over, I would have turbo'd the thing.

Last year the car spun a roller style dyno to 346hp at the rear wheels, which was a disappointment.

Airbox2.JPG

Cool look forward to hear how you did. I am going to be building a turbo EFI 5.9 for my 90 Dakota race truck.

I'll post some pics and update with the final result of my factory ECM controlled EFI'd 5.9 (actually a 408 or 6.6 Magnum) being set-up, run for baseline & tuned with a wideband on a dyno this morning.

I'm running 40 lbs Ford racing injectors, a surge tank style fuel system, a Hughes Big Mouth modified factory throttle body and the factory JTEC EFI computer reflashed using an SCT hand-held Tuner.

I have been running a tune that was done by a guy across the country and arrived at by sending him feedback with the wideband readings I got. It seems to run well, but I've wondered if this technique left untapped power on the table. I have some Hughes Super Prep'd and hand worked Eddies on the motor with 10.2 to 1 compression and a healthy Hughes custom (.555/540 lift, 246/252 @ .050 on a 108 lobe separation angle) hydraulic roller. The thing runs very good now, but I just need to know if it is optimized....yes, I am addicted to performance still. If I had it to do over, I would have turbo'd the thing.

Last year the car spun a roller style dyno to 346hp at the rear wheels, which was a disappointment.

View attachment 1715101980

Your hot rod seems to run faster each time I see it run at Willow. You probably have untapped power. How's the trans holding up?

View attachment 1715101980

Ok, the numbers are in. They did 3 pulls on their dyno and ended up only charging me $125 for their efforts. As it turns out, the A/F ratio was near ideal and it put out significantly more power than I expected.

It spun out 382.8 HP at 4580 RPM & 525 ft lbs of torque at 3541 rpm. They said I'm losing about 20% through the driveline. Using that number, the corrected flywheel HP should be 478.5 and the torque should be 656.25 ft lbs.

This was better than I expected given the results of the roller dyno run of a year ago.

Ok, the numbers are in. They did 3 pulls on their dyno and ended up only charging me $125 for their efforts. As it turns out, the A/F ratio was near ideal and it put out significantly more power than I expected.

It spun out 382.8 HP at 4580 RPM & 525 ft lbs of torque at 3541 rpm. They said I'm losing about 20% through the driveline. Using that number, the corrected flywheel HP should be 478.5 and the torque should be 656.25 ft lbs.

This was better than I expected given the results of the roller dyno run of a year ago.
The low rpm @ Hp peak indicates a problem,the high torque numbers are BS caused by the converter.

The low rpm @ Hp peak indicates a problem,the high torque numbers are BS caused by the converter.
I am far from an expert, and never had the $ for dyno time. But the torque figures don`t seem right for that small of an engine .

I do have a 3800 stall converter in the car, which they said skews the numbers below that rpm. I'm certainly no expert on dynos, but that corrected torque figure seemed happy to me too.. My converter does have the lock-up feature, but it can only be activated when the trans is in 4th gear.

On a slightly related note, I just got back from Sacramento where I had my 2008 GMC 2500HD 6.0/6-speed auto dyno tuned. I added a cold air intake and a Corsa catback exhaust to the 74k mile truck.

The baseline run showed 273hp at the rear wheels. The motor was only burning at 14.5 to 1 AFR. After some tuning, the motor spun out 310hp. A nice gain on California pump REGULAR.

The biggest improvement was in how the guy tuned the computer controlled transmission. He set it up like they are in the ZL1 cars. The truck has been transformed into a completely different animal now. It's like night and day in how the truck daily drives and runs at full throttle. I highly recommend this upgrade if you have a newer vehicle.

-
Back