Grounding Fire (almost) - Now What?

-
That plug is not the alternator/engine plug! That is A-H bulkhead. Wiper/Bu lamp and A/C.

It is the middle connector on the bulkhead that is the engine harness. You have more issues to consider. Here is a set of 67 wiring drawings I traced from the originals you are going to need them.

Attachments

• 67 Barracuda Factory WD REV 1.pdf
    72.5 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and go thru all your wiring. Obviously unhook battery first.
Sorry to see this, new good wiring is insurance.

While the bulkhead connectors are off, fill the terminals with "di-electric silicone grease", available at any auto parts.
The harness which melted looks like somebody buggered with it before since it has thicker than normal electrical tape.
A good time to consider the MAD Bypass. An easy way with your small-block is to grab the ALT wire from a junkyard Magnum V-8 engine (trucks, Jeep GC). It runs across the timing cover straight to BATT+ (or relay box beside battery).

I am becoming quite certain the right move here is to re-wire the entire car. Inspecting more wires, heat and age have had their effect over the 50 years that this baby has been making people smile. The idea of a potential fire because I took a shortcut doesn't sound like something I want in the back of my mind. I am going to do some thread research on total rewire projects, and then will likely start a new thread. Thank you all again for your input.

Smart of you.

I have been trying to preach this for years. I am very happy thus far after 3 years back on the road with all new M&H wiring and it always does exactly what is expected! Best of luck going forward and smile it did not get worse for you.

I stripped back some or the old stuff I replaced only to find lots of black and green everywhere. It looked semi ok from the outside but not so much on the inside. Guaranteed resistance everywhere. I do not have any accessories other than stock equipment, so I put back in factory repo stuff. No I did no Mad mods cause it works fine in pure stock form as long as you are not trying to power anything more than it came with originally.

Last edited:
Just realized you have a Dart as well, sorry I sent Barracuda drawings. My Dart drawings are not complete yet. Saw you site name and just assumed!

You need to go though every wire under the hood.
And replace AS NECESSARY. Some may be perfectly fine.
Or at least use crimp and solder and water tight any splices in wire you splice in.
But why splice? They are short enough to replace.
The original wires in my daily had issues this year.
(I'd say that's pretty good for the age).
1. You need to "hard wire" the main feed wires through the bulkhead connector. Get rid of the Packard connectors.
2. Do the headlight mod. This will take a load off of your wires and switch. And your headlights will work better.

See here. Post 29 and the hot link to the other thread
GE nighthawk sealed beams

Just realized you have a Dart as well, sorry I sent Barracuda drawings. My Dart drawings are not complete yet. Saw you site name and just assumed!

I had a hopped up 67 Cuda when I joined and then moved to a milder, more family friendly ride!

If that's the wire that runs from the alternator to the battery then definitely replace it .I would replace it with a 10 gauge wire as this is the wire that charges your battery. It doesn't have to be inside you wiring harness. If you want, run it alongside and tape it up to hide it.

If that's the wire that runs from the alternator to the battery then definitely replace it .I would replace it with a 10 gauge wire as this is the wire that charges your battery. It doesn't have to be inside you wiring harness. If you want, run it alongside and tape it up to hide it.

This was a couple years back - I ended up re-wiring everything from bulkhead forward, and doing the alt bypass. Never an issue since. I got lucky.

-
Back