head thickness valve train noise

-

dartkid68

Reaction score
ok guys noob questions here got my motor in the car (340) and its not running right it has a tick like a bad lift. has a 507/510 comp cam adjustable rocker arms with x heads, check lash and everything few times and still no luck my question is can i check if my heads been milled down on the motor or do they have to be off? if i have adjustable rockers would the head being milled down matter?

If it's noise accompanied by a miss, I would pull the intake and look at the cam and lifters before anything else. Don't keep running it thinking it will get better. Open it up and look. It will cost time and a couple gaskets now. Might be a lot more in short order by running it.

There has been multiple comments across Al Gore's interweb about Comp cams having a tick when running. Mine does it a little, it's the fast rate ramps allowing the valves to snap shut quicker creating a tapping noise.

NOW, with that said, I'm not saying that's it, just tossing it out there. It certainly is worth investigating.

its really noticeable around 1500-2k rpms and no i cant notice a miss! also i am like 90% positive its valve train and not exhaust leak vacuum is pretty weak as well only about 7-9lbs

This cam?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-20-225-4/overview/make/dodge

9 lbs vacuum at idle with that cam would be pretty much normal, that's a pretty aggressive cam. All I get with the Lunati 60404 in my 340 is 9-10 lbs at idle, and that's a smaller cam than yours.

Is the noise happening while your parked and just bringing up the rpm's? Or is that while you're driving? That cam has a range of 2,300-6,500 rpm so if the noise is while you're driving you're lugging the engine, and it could be detonation. What is your compression ratio?

yup thats the exact cam and just idle, car isnt finished yet so havent had it on road

hyd, lashed them loaded orig had factory stamped rockers and they were to weak for this cam so i swapped out to adjustable rockers

Have been told by more then one builder Comp Cams are NOT what they use to be,had one guy go through 3 cams before getting one that didn't wear a lobe off right after firing up the motor..something to think of..

Have been told by more then one builder Comp Cams are NOT what they use to be,had one guy go through 3 cams before getting one that didn't wear a lobe off right after firing up the motor..something to think of..
thats very interesting

lashed a hydraulic cam? with adjustable rockers, if the heads have been cut is not an issue. lash, or clearance between rocker and valve, is on solid lifters. hydraulic lifters need preload. like 1 turn of the adjuster more than zero. what U doing

-
Back