Help with hazards on a 66 dart wiring

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
So for whatever reason my 66 dart doesnt have any hazard lights. So I found an old harness on eBay, but the switch is f'd. So I bought this other switch that I thought would be able to swap in. However the newer switch has the 4 terminals but they are too close for the connectors to just swap in. So I will need to cut off all the old terminals and use normal wire terminals. no biggie.
However my question is, does it matter which wire goes where??? and how do I orient it to match the old switch?? I have pics of the old switch, then the new switch. Which wires do I connect where on the newer switch? Does it matter?? thanks for any help
you can see on the old switch white and black wire, then below Green and brown.
IMG_3949.JPG
IMG_3950.JPG
IMG_3952.JPG

Yes, it matters which way the wires go. You can see on what is apparently the old switch connector one terminal is offset. That ensures the connector will only go one way. The feed wire terminal from the hazard flasher, probably the black wire, must be isolated from two of the other terminals when the hazard switch is off. When the switch is on all the switch terminals will have continuity with each other. You can work this out with a ohm-meter.

The two terminals that have no continuity with any of the others when the switch is off should go to the front turn signals. Of the two that have continuity with each other when the switch is off, one comes from the hazard flasher and one to the brake light circuit.

If I had to guess, the green and tan wires go to the front turn signals and the white goes to the brake light circuit. Do not take my word for it, verify that with a wiring diagram or some other means, such as a fused jumper wire or 12 volt test light.

You need to verify all this before you let any smoke out of the wiring. I do not have a wiring diagram available and this is all from memory after thinking about it for about 0.274 seconds.

thanks for the reply. I was thinking if I just orient it the same it should work? But you concern me when you mention the offset as being the the Brown wire. But then mention the feed wire is black coming from the flasher.
I am checking with ohm meter, i do not get continuity between any terminals when switch is off. i tried every combination. When I switch it on, I get continuity on all terminals in all combinations. my manual doesnt show any hazard option. I certainly dont want to burn anything up.... hummm....I am also assuming that the old switch was properly connectd. It may be possible that those wires were in the wrong terminals??? maybe do you know which terminals should have no continuity when switch is on? Maybe the newer type switch (either everything hot or nothing hot) is the wrong type for my harness>?? I searched the interweb for schemnatics of the switches and find nothing.
The old switch is #2587348. The newer switch is #2771124.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. I was thinking if I just orient it the same it should work? But you concern me when you mention the offset as being the the Brown wire. But then mention the feed wire is black coming from the flasher.
I am checking with ohm meter, i do not get continuity between any terminals when switch is off. i tried every combination. When I switch it on, I get continuity on all terminals in all combinations. my manual doesnt show any hazard option. I certainly dont want to burn anything up.... hummm....I am also assuming that the old switch was properly connectd. It may be possible that those wires were in the wrong terminals??? maybe do you know which terminals should have no continuity when switch is on? Maybe the newer type switch (either everything hot or nothing hot) is the wrong type for my harness>?? I searched the interweb for schemnatics of the switches and find nothing.
The old switch is #2587348. The newer switch is #2771124.
If you have no continuity on any of the terminals when the switch is off and you do have continuity between all terminals when the switch is on I think you are good.

If you have a volt-meter then just test each of the four wires that will go to the switch while the brake pedal is depressed. The one for the brake light circuit will have battery voltage with the pedal depressed. Then connect that wire to the green and verify which light on the car illuminates when the brake pedal is depressed. Do the same with the tan wire. The remaining wire should be coming from the hazard flasher.

If that checks out good, I would connect the green and the tan wires to the switch terminals closest to the end of the switch. Then connect the remaining two wires to the terminals at the center of the switch. None of the wires should be grounded so I don't think you can blow anything up, but I would test with a fused jumper wire to to be certain.

Again, I am not looking at a wiring diagram and the one diagram I found does not show hazard flashers on a 1966. When you originally stated "you had no hazard flashers" I took that to mean all the parts and wiring are there but the system is not working.

So for whatever reason my 66 dart doesnt have any hazard lights.

Just to clear that up, 66 Darts didn't come with hazard flashers. They were a option. In fact if you have noticed, The front parking lights come on in the park position of the headlight switch and go out when the headlights are turned on. tmm

Thanks for the replies. So I guess I am right in thinking that it really makes no difference where each wire connects to this switch. They are all the same, and they are all dead when switch is off. Right??
and yes, this is an old harness that I bought that I hope interfaces with my existing wiring. It is supposed to. never installed it on my car, just getting ready to.

update: Installed it. It doesnt matter which terminal you pug the wires into, as they are either all hot, or all cold. My issue was the flasher which was included in the harness, was a 3-terminal type, but the harness only had 2 wires going to it, 1 was the black wire from the fuse box (I used the piggyback on the cigar lighter fuse) and the other wire ran to the rest of the wires at the connection.
It wasnt working at first, so I got a 2 terminal flasher, rewired the socket for it, and bam...flash flash flash.
Thanks for all your help guys.

-
Back