Help with ID'ing 904 trans

-

parrainx

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a '65 /6 Valiant and when I bought it 5 years ago, I was told by previous owner that the transmission is not original to the car. Just need to get new seals kit I'll need based on trans year (pre-'72 or '72 up)

Here are the numbers I see on it:

Bell housing: Large 871-2

Trans (might be a dead giveaway): got 66 in a circle, KCP in an oval and 2466871 with a 2 under it

On the pan lip: 2538386Y 2191332

Tail piece: same 66 in circle and KCP in an oval and 2466880-2

Forgot to count the splines, but I will if that will help ID'ing.

Thank you for your help!

PS: Do they sell just the seals for the trans or do I need to buy a whole new rebuild kit? PO said that it was rebuilt, it's just I had the car in storage last 5 years and trans is leaking out of speepo, shifter, kickdown. I want to get front and rear seals as well.

I can't find that exact number on the list, but it seems to be a 66 trans...

Do you have a picture of the trans???

904.jpg

It looks like this. I'm not able to take the photo right now.

Other side has the single 1 wire sensor (I noticed some 904 trans on google have two sensors, one having 3 prong sticking out of it)

View attachment 1715061574
It looks like this. I'm not able to take the photo right now.

Other side has the single 1 wire sensor (I noticed some 904 trans on google have two sensors, one having 3 prong sticking out of it)

The early transmissions came with one wire Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) up until I believe 69...

Then 70 and later had the three wire NSS....

I'm curious where the year is identified on the 904. Subscribed

There are numbers stamped in the transmission near where the linkages hook up on the driver's side, about 7 - 8 digits long... There are two "sets" of them...

One of them will cross reference to this chart which can tell you the year and model that the trans was offered in:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf

Here is a picture showing where to find the stamped numbers on the flat pad just above the oil pan near where the linkages hook up... I show both sets in circles... Copy them down and look it up in the chart above...

DSC04254 B2.jpg

DSC04258 B2.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back