Hemi Swapping a perfectly good 70 Duster

-
You are running the cam without a tune? I've seen good numbers with that cam but it was after a tune.

Best part is the price, at one point they were less $100 for a 6.4 M6 cam. I think mine was $212 a year or more ago.
Yea, they're fine without a tune but only small gains.. Tune will bring all the power out tho

They're not that cheap anymore tho. I caught a good deal on a super low mile take out with lifters.

Very nice, doesn't look too bad.... i am hoping to do a 390 or 408 shortblock for next year... need to get **** moving on it's own this year first :)
I drained the oil. No big chunks came out, so that's good...lol It honestly still ran good and revved like normal. The squeak clack sound is what got my attention.

I drained the oil. No big chunks came out, so that's good...lol It honestly still ran good and revved like normal. The squeak clack sound is what got my attention.
wow that's crazy with that much lobe/lifter gone it didn't have much more bad... very nice.

They're not that cheap anymore tho. I caught a good deal on a super low mile take out with lifters.

I went and looked up my cost, $255 for the cam and $74.08 for the springs. The stupid thing was that it cost me $91.95 for shipping! That was when shipping costs were stupid high, I should have waited. I saw too many people trying to find parts and figured I would rather have them on the shelf. And the price had gone from $86 (or so) to $250+ so I figured they were just going to keep going up.

I was able to find the same cam for $265 just now, so not much higher.

I did the same thing with my Hooker swap headers, buy them now instead of waiting. Not they are discontinued and I have a set on the shelf.

I lied. It came out tonight. This really wasn’t the plan, but while I when I was finishing up disconnecting the trans wires and driveshaft, I was like, 4 bolts and that trans is on the floor. Well, one thing led to another..
FA47C253-99BD-4868-B6DE-493FF1D80C84.jpeg
11E5FBA2-1D32-4552-916A-E2ABF0C9D2F6.jpeg

Awesome! What firewall connector do you run for the wiring harness?
It's a Deutsch connector, 47 pins. You can use the connector assembler on Wirecare.com to figure out what you need. Sometimes you can find the parts on ebay with better pricing if you search by part number. Wire care is easy because it takes the guesswork out of it. I have these all over my car of various sizes. There's another one in the fender well for all the headlights, horn, radiator fans, etc. Also have it on my fuel tank wiring.
I'll warn you, they aren't cheap. I was first introduced to these when I worked for Cummins. They use these on their industrial engines. I've since seen them in many places such as construction machinery, generators, RVs, etc. You do need a special crimper. There are some cheap options for those as well.
You can see the receptacle side in this picture.

engine comp.jpg

I'm eager to hear your comparison between the two characteristics... since your previous motor was already pretty healthy. Hoopty had a Slant before going 5.7 and the dart was a 318. So neither one was a shocker when they made me **** my pants

I'm eager to hear your comparison between the two characteristics... since your previous motor was already pretty healthy. Hoopty had a Slant before going 5.7 and the dart was a 318. So neither one was a shocker when they made me **** my pants
You and me both. That's likely one of the biggest things I'm anxious to learn. I know what it use to MPH in the quarter mile from previous years at Moparty. I'm going again this year, so I'll know right away how the 5.7 compares. I think the weight difference is insignificant, but I'll run it across the scales at the track again to know for sure.

It's a Deutsch connector, 47 pins. You can use the connector assembler on Wirecare.com to figure out what you need. Sometimes you can find the parts on ebay with better pricing if you search by part number. Wire care is easy because it takes the guesswork out of it. I have these all over my car of various sizes. There's another one in the fender well for all the headlights, horn, radiator fans, etc. Also have it on my fuel tank wiring.
I'll warn you, they aren't cheap. I was first introduced to these when I worked for Cummins. They use these on their industrial engines. I've since seen them in many places such as construction machinery, generators, RVs, etc. You do need a special crimper. There are some cheap options for those as well.
You can see the receptacle side in this picture.

View attachment 1716243349
That’s legit!!! Thank you! I wish I would’ve found that before doing my painless install but may try one for the megasquirt harness…. Or the next project car :)

You and me both. That's likely one of the biggest things I'm anxious to learn. I know what it use to MPH in the quarter mile from previous years at Moparty. I'm going again this year, so I'll know right away how the 5.7 compares. I think the weight difference is insignificant, but I'll run it across the scales at the track again to know for sure.
Make sure you report the differences!! Need to see if this is worth doing.

-
Back