High Pressure Wheel Bearing Grease Recommendations

-

nm9stheham

Reaction score
Hey all,

We are needing a better wheel bearing grease for our work trailer axle bearings. We tow an enclosed trailer typically 500-600 miles at a time at 75 mph to work sites, and the grease appears to be breaking down under the combination of temp and pressure. The last greasing lasted only 3k miles before the bearings started getting hotter and hotter each run then got really hot in just 25 miles on a low speed run. We repacked with fresh grease and it is fine for now after 300 miles. So the prior grease (which we had never used before and is more for water rejection) seems to just have quickly sheared and lost it lubricity.

We have been getting 10-15k per packing on a Valvoline moly loaded grease in the last 2 years. But I am looking to see if there is anything better. We have not tried a synthetic yet.

BTW....this trailer has 2 3500# rated axles so the bearings are not tiny but they are not large either. We often have 6,000+ pounds of trailer, tools, equipment etc., so it is all getting a good loading. (And all the crappy Chinese bearings are not helping.... )

Tnx!

Hey all,

We are needing a better wheel bearing grease for our work trailer axle bearings. We tow an enclosed trailer typically 500-600 miles at a time at 75 mph to work sites, and the grease appears to be breaking down under the combination of temp and pressure. The last greasing lasted only 3k miles before the bearings started getting hotter and hotter each run then got really hot in just 25 miles on a low speed run. We repacked with fresh grease and it is fine for now after 300 miles. So the prior grease (which we had never used before and is more for water rejection) seems to just have quickly sheared and lost it lubricity.

We have been getting 10-15k per packing on a Valvoline moly loaded grease in the last 2 years. But I am looking to see if there is anything better. We have not tried a synthetic yet.

BTW....this trailer has 2 3500# rated axles so the bearings are not tiny but they are not large either. We often have 6,000+ pounds of trailer, tools, equipment etc., so it is all getting a good loading. (And all the crappy Chinese bearings are not helping.... )

Tnx!
is that moly loaded grease the charcoal grey colored stuff? If so, I had trouble with that stuff, too. I found that it is better for sliding friction, like ball joints, etc., but not appropriate for rolling friction applications.
If it's the white lithium grease, that's supposed to be better for wet applications, but I don't know about heavy loads and high speeds.

Yes it is. What kind of symptoms did you get when using it with bearings? I'll have to look at the container and see what it says. Tnx!

Yes it is. What kind of symptoms did you get when using it with bearings? I'll have to look at the container and see what it says. Tnx!
I could see small scratches/wear on the tapered roller bearings, whereas before I had no noticeable wear. That's when I started looking into it, the literature or info I got from the bearing supply company, implied that the moly EP, was intended for sliding friction apps, like bushings. This was like 25 years ago, so I don't know how relevant that info is now, but I do know I had no more problems after I changed. I think I went to what they then called "long-fibered" grease.

OK, I know what that is generally. I think the moly-loaded type that we have is long-fibered, but I'l double check. A synthetic may be the next thing to try.

Thanks again.

Bel-Ray water proof synthetic grease, after I switched to it years ago, my bearing issues went away.

I got away from moly grease a while back. It has great properties, but i prefer the heavy ep2. Castrol,penzoil are whats available to me. The harder it is to pump the more i like it.
Some labels mention approved for disc brake applications. Go for that.
Thers no point discussing bearing adjustment,or filling cavities with grease as im sure you are well versed in those subjects. As well as proper packing of bearings.

Thanks all; all sound like good suggestions. One of the recommended synthetics will be next.

Bearing work? Yeah..... we can change out both bearings and races in any hub and hand pack the bearings with grease, and be back on the road in about 45 minutes now.... by the side of the road no less... After midnight takes a little longer. LOL

Thanks all; all sound like good suggestions. One of the recommended synthetics are next.

Bearing work? Yeah..... we can change out both bearings and races in any hub and hand pack the bearings with grease in about 45 minutes now.... by the side of the road no less... After midnight takes a little longer. LOL

Lubrication Engineers. FIL used their stuff in his crane business for 30 years never had a grease related failure. Swears by it. Me too.

Texas Refinery Corp. seems its always more $ . any kind of lubricant you need, you can miss a lube job & not be concerned. its still there when you go to lube it again. I don't sell it I just use it.

-
Back