How do I replace ignition switch '70 Dart Swinger

-

1970Dart198

Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently had ignition problems where the who car just shuts off before trying to fire up the engine. I bought a new standard motor products ignition switch and I am changing it out now.

I've had a hard time taking that snap ring off after the directional switch, but once I got that off, I can't seem to pull off that whole housing to expose the ignition switch and lock plate. Its like its stuck to that bearing and rubber grommet. The ignition lock plate seems to be attached to the steering rod with the splines.

Sometimes it feels as though I am pulling out the whole steering column/rod, is this normal? I think it's stuck on that bearing. I'll attach pictures to help explain. Basically, what is the next step? Thanks!

20160708_145832.jpg

Unfortunately I was using that thread to find the answer! Should I just try and pull it out? I don't like to force anything. Would the steering shaft come out too? Thanks.

Unfortunately I was using that thread to find the answer! Should I just try and pull it out? I don't like to force anything. Would the steering shaft come out too? Thanks.

If you have removed the first snap ring and the three screws holding the column (it looks you have done this) then there is nothing holding the column together... except the bearing can be hard to get off of the steering shaft especially if it has been on there for 40 years. Yes, if you pull hard enough you could pull the shaft from the coupler. You may need to rig a puller. The factory service manual has the procedure listed for removing the bearing from the shaft.

Great, Ill go and grab a puller. Is it OK for the splined column to come in or out a little. It moves when I try and pull on the housing. I hope I'm not messing anything up in my power steering.

Last edited:
I got it out! I went to Advanced Auto and bought a cheap wheel/pulley puller and it came right out! I have a book copy of the 1970 Dart Manual (Yellow Colored). The tools look pretty special. I'll have to find some punches for the roll pin. Thank you for your help!

Some bad news, as I was getting ready to change out the old switch I saw the push button ignition switch I had wired in a few years ago. It was to prevent someone from just jumping in and hot wiring the car up. The solders are clean and heat wrapped well. Damn! I'm not enthusiastic about cutting out this switch, and doing some honkey tonk modifications. Some of the wires from the safety switch are wired into the old ignition switches like the blue wire etc. Should I put it all back together and have the company I had the switch put in install the new one?

On a side note, my car was in park, and when I dropped the steering column, the car popped out of park and rolled backwards, I was able to catch it and put a Belgian block behind the tire. Is there a way to pop it back into Park when I eventually have to re-assemble everything?

Thanks!

Too bad they didn't keep the ignition switch in the dash, like the mid sixties. It was a 10 minute swap... :(
I know, that don't do you any good. Just thinking out loud

I figured I can use some butt connectors to tap into the new wires, its wired in series with the yellow wire and the blue wire from the harness. One question. I know the orange wire from the old harness goes where the new small black wire is in the new harness, and the two little red ones go in as well, but then where does that little black wire go to? Thanks.

The orange wire is the shift lever indicator, I'd just like to know where the black wire goes. Thanks again!

I'm having the same issue with the bearing housing; it seems to be stuck on the shaft. Did you just use a steering wheel puller and rig it up somehow? I rented one to get the steering wheel off tonight and can try to use it again before returning it tomorrow.

Yes, I used a wheel puller to carefully pull the housing off with the bearing. The center part of the puller goes on the steering shaft (use a shim of wood to separate it) then the arms go on the housing itself. I sprayed some PB Blaster to help smooth things along and it came right out!

That worked perfectly; had to be a little bit creative with the puller. It wasn't quite wide enough to grab the housing square, but by holding tight and having my son wrench the bolt the bearing housing popped right off. Have smooth and very sweet turning ignition cylinder now!!

Great! I always like to take things slow and check out all angles to fix it before I start diving in to things. I used Standard Motor Products US88 Ignition Switch. Just a thought, I sprayed some graphite powder all over the ignition switch cam and cylinder before putting it all back together. Brand new I know these switches can be a bit "sticky" or rough, and I guess the graphite powder helps smooth things along until it gets broken in.

Too bad they didn't keep the ignition switch in the dash, like the mid sixties. It was a 10 minute swap... :(
I know, that don't do you any good. Just thinking out loud
On that subject, how do I get it out of the dash? Do I need something like snap ring pliers to unscrew the ring holding the switch in place?

On that subject, how do I get it out of the dash? Do I need something like snap ring pliers to unscrew the ring holding the switch in place?
naw, just put a flat head screw driver in one of the many slots of the decorative nut you see on the dash and tap the screw driver with the palm of your hand and it should unscrew....

-
Back