How do you prime the oil pump?

-
Here's another suggestion. Overfill the motor with way too much oil so that it has to reach the level of the pump. Loosen the oil filter to relieve any obstacle to the oil. Head pressure should force oil to the pump. Disarm the fuel pump or ignition and crank the motor for a bit. Drain as much oil as you overfilled and then try it. This should keep you from having to remove anything from the motor. Bill

I'm not familiar with the 3G hemis but on most engines temporarily removing the filter relieves "most all" head pressure from the pump and allows it to prime more easily.

I am having no luck getting oil pressure. My motor sat for 2 years without oil in it. Have a Milodon pan and pickup, back-fed the pump via the top pipe plug above the filter, it's full of oil, and I get no oil pressure when cranking, not even a ripple on the gauge.

It took mine a lot of cranking to make noticeable pressure when I put it together fresh. I back filled it and everything but figured I'd just watch the gauge real close the first time it fired and be ready to shut it down in a few seconds. My daily driver will keep the oil light lit for a second or two when I first start it even though I drive it all the time, so I think it just takes a bit of rpm.

I am having no luck getting oil pressure. My motor sat for 2 years without oil in it. Have a Milodon pan and pickup, back-fed the pump via the top pipe plug above the filter, it's full of oil, and I get no oil pressure when cranking, not even a ripple on the gauge.

Reading later in the thread - the general thinking is its the bottom hole that leads to the pump - try priming through this hole.

I would consider removing distributor and hand priming. A 5/16" hex 14" long gets just above the LA/MA block. Many use a drill but I have had good success with only a speed handle. This will save overworking the starter motor. To get oil up to the rocker shafts on an LA move the balancer TDC mark to approx. 10+2 o'clock you should here a squirt when it's at the right spot.

Sorry fellas. If moderator would remove, that would be ok.

Hey Coronet 500, these guys are talking about the 5.7/6.1 hemi, which has no distributor.

Yes the bottom port is directly from the pump and the top port goes directly into the motor to feed the bearings,My engine builder made a pressurized tank out of a old propane bottle with a filter on it and primed my motor and pump at the same time,-Steve

Finally got oil...and fired it, but when running on starting fluid it backfired and shot my EGR plug out into the shop...somewhere...currently cleaning 2 years worth of projects up in order to find it...

Now that's some funny ****!!

This is how I did mine, adapted a scuba tank to pump in the oil (any sort of tank would work, old fire extinguisher for example) air get's fed in at the fitting at the side, the top fitting has a pickup tube welded into it wich reaches all the way to the bottom of the tank (about 1" of the bottom). Air pushes down on the oil, only way it can go out is through the pick up tube and into the motor. Only drawback is that you have to fill it through the top fitting wich takes a long time, if I ever need this thing again I'll drill a 2" hole in it weld a piece of threaded pipe on it and use a cap.

You have to use the bottom hole on the oil filter boss to prime the pump, if you use the top hole you prime the entire motor except the oil pump (found this out first hand).

Hose is connected to the wrong hole on the oil filter boss, only found out later that this hole does not feed the oil pump.
555b3d15.jpg

Tried filming it in action but looks like Michael J Fox filmed it. If you have oil pressure on, and rotate the cam, every time the rocker pushes down an intake valve a squirt of oil comes out.

Click to play
[ame=http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm11/Belgiquebasterd/?action=view&current=IMG_0948.mp4]
th_IMG_0948.jpg
[/ame]

Today on PowerBlockTV they primed a new style 4.6 distributorless engine using a tank filled with oil that was pushed with 60lbs of air pressure through a oil sensor port on the block. Showed oil pressure on the guage as the oil got passed through the engine. Look at the video around the 8 minute mark.

http://m.powerblocktv.com/episodes/TK2013-02

wow..i used a 5/16 hex tool i have connected to a speed handle from Harbor Frieght..and once i got pressure on the gauge..i slowly rotated the engine with a 1/2 ratchet drive about 45 degrees on each turn.. squirted oil out of both rocker shaft...

Yeah, that will not work on the new hemi's......no distributor.

sorry...did not see that is what the "new hemi" section

i just primed my motor tonight,, it worked awesome,, i made this tank the other day at work

Attachments

• 20140114_203559_resized_3.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 1,254
  • 20140115_195005_resized.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,182
  • 20140115_195522_resized.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,190
-
Back