How do you release an ignition cylinder

-

jabdusty57

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace an ignition lock cylinder on a 1970 Plymouth Duster. I have the column down to the shaft bearing housing. My repair manual says to press a spring latch through an access hole but I can't find such an access hole. The illustration also doesn't look much like mine because the manual covers five years of models. I believe I have an early model 70 because it came with a 1969 model dash bezel and AM radio. Does anyone know the correct procedure?

Go here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

Download a late model service manual. I just got done looking at the '70 Dart/ Charger book, page 19-36, and it's all right there

The 72 manual shows essentially the same thing, page 19-39

Screenshot from the '70 Dart/ Charger manual

2k0n4y.jpg

2wm3o7m.jpg

If yours is different, don't know what else to tell ya

67Dart273: Yes mine is quite different (see attachment). By studying the replacement, I believe I've found the access hole. But it's not cooperating with me. I don't know how much force is required to free the cylinder. I wonder if I have a mechanical problem. I did detach and lower the steering column. Thank you for the fast response!

Attachments

• Ignition Lock Cylinder.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,723
You need to rotate the lock cylinder to the on position before that button will push. If the key is gone or the lock cylinder wont turn you'll need to drfill the pin out.

You need to rotate the lock cylinder to the on position before that button will push. If the key is gone or the lock cylinder wont turn you'll need to drfill the pin out.

i've never had to do that. all i have ever had to do is insert a key (whether is was the right one or not).

I tried the key in multiple positions with no luck. My manual makes no reference to a key and I noticed that when I insert a key into the replacement cylinder, a small lever snaps out and locks into place at the bottom. I would think that would prevent the cylinder from coming out.

Attachments

• New Ignition Lock Cylinder.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,601
67Dart273: Yes mine is quite different (see attachment). By studying the replacement, I believe I've found the access hole. But it's not cooperating with me. I don't know how much force is required to free the cylinder. I wonder if I have a mechanical problem. I did detach and lower the steering column. Thank you for the fast response!

Your picture looks like you haven't pulled the column apart far enough yet to gain access to the ignition. The part the shift lever is on has to come off also.

your picture looks like you haven't pulled the column apart far enough yet to gain access to the ignition. The part the shift lever is on has to come off also.

^^^this^^^

Re-read the shop manual!!

glad you got past that issue... assume it was smooth sailing for you? did you finish up the repair ok? I have a question for you if ya did...

im changing out an ignition switch myself. when you got to the steering wheel lock plate how did you remove the pin? did you use the chrysler removal tool, and if yes, where did you locate it?

thnx.

i've never had to do that. all i have ever had to do is insert a key (whether is was the right one or not).

Rotate to the on position may be only a Ford thing. they all have a combination ( trick ) to them. I guess being a used car mechanic and experienced in every brand got me in error again. Sorry

Sorry MoPowAR - I just got your message in my email this morning at 12:30 AM. I'm knew to this forum thing - I thought any additional posting notifications would be sent right away. I never actually removed the lock plate. I was able to wiggle the entire plate/steering column assembly enough distance forward (out) to get behind it and press on the release pin. A small screwdriver can easily fit between the plate fingers. Since you need to remove the plate, you could try Amazon - I saw one here [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648466-Steering-Wheel-Removal/dp/B004KED7RU"]Amazon.com: Powerbuilt 648466 Steering Wheel Lock Plate Removal Tool: Automotive[/ame]

-
Back