How much cooling assistance from an oil cooler

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I have a 69 Barracuda with a 340 pushing about 375 HP. It has always run a little warmer than I wanted. It has never overheated and spewed antifreeze, but I would like to see it run a little cooler. I've done everything that has ever been suggested in dozens of threads. I was wondering if adding an oil cooler would help cool the engine a little. It seems like cooling the oil would help. Any thoughts?

First find out what the actual engine coolant temp is, then if it is out if the acceptable range we can go through a check list and suggest things.
Usually the culprit of higher temps at cruise with engine all good "tune/mechanically", is too small a radiator.

Last edited:
Not really....due to the fact that MOST oil coolers though NOT ALL use the cooling system (read radiator) as the cooling fluid for the oil. You could look around for an oil to air cooler, mount it in front of your radiator, or some place else where you could get air flow thru it.........however there is not that much oil in the sump, nor does it circulate that fast to carry that much excess heat off. Oil coolers are meant to stabilize the temperature of the oil.

What do you run for a thermostat, and what temp does the engine run at? What are you running for a radiator? 375hp should pose not issues on a stock cooling system IF it is in GOOD order.

what? adding an oil cooler will make the engine cooler, an added cooler will not use the radiator. adding an oil cooler will add oil capacity, and that helps, I run a 7 quart oil pan and a 1 quart filter. tell us more about your car and engine and temps

At your power level a completely stock cooling system for a 340 car should be more than you need.

What specific temp are you calling a little warm?

At your power level a completely stock cooling system for a 340 car should be more than you need.

What specific temp are you calling a little warm?

Good to see you back, Buckwheat. Where've you been?

I have a Griffin Radiator that is supposed to be good for up to 600 HP, and I have a stock shroud \ high flow metal fan with all associated hood to cowl and hood to radiator core seals. I flushed the crap out of my engine (with the bottom block plugs out) until it ran clear. I have a 180 degree high flow thermostat (no difference over a stock one). Also a Milodon high flow water pump. On a cool day, everything is fine. Using an IR thermometer, it runs at about 195 on a cool day. On a hot day with the AC on, it runs at about 205 - 210. It never actually spews antifreeze, but that is a bit warm. It runs great, but the temp is frustrating.

I would call 205-210 an absolutely perfect running temp for a high performance street engine.

I have a Griffin Radiator that is supposed to be good for up to 600 HP, and I have a stock shroud \ high flow metal fan with all associated hood to cowl and hood to radiator core seals. I flushed the crap out of my engine (with the bottom block plugs out) until it ran clear. I have a 180 degree high flow thermostat (no difference over a stock one). Also a Milodon high flow water pump. On a cool day, everything is fine. Using an IR thermometer, it runs at about 195 on a cool day. On a hot day with the AC on, it runs at about 205 - 210. It never actually spews antifreeze, but that is a bit warm. It runs great, but the temp is frustrating.

The issue I see is that for what you have, even in the dog days of summer, your temp should be within 10*'s of the t-stat. And stay there. I wouldn't say it's overheating, but that system should be able to cool much closer to ambient than what you are getting.

Photos always help. You guys are talking about 2 different devices. An "oil to water" cooler will not increase cooling (much), but will give more uniform temperature in the engine. My T&C minivan w/ towing package has one. They are an easy add-on, bolting between filter and engine, plus a little coolant plumbing. An "oil to air" cooler will increase total cooling, w/ caveat that it takes away from airflow thru the radiator. My M-B has that, side-by-side w/ the radiator and thus mandating a smaller radiator. Most add-ons would bolt in front of the radiator, but still stealing potential air cooling from the radiator.

-
Back