how to paint chrome

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I am doing some small things to my 65 Barracuda at present. How would I need to treat the chrome to paint. I am currently working with the trim at the base of the rear window. I know you would have to use some type of wax remover, but will the chrome itself accept the paint.
Thanks

straight shiny chrome will not hold paint - you might want to give it some teeth - DA with 240 or scuff it up with some Scotch-brite.. once you get it cleaned up and smoothed to your liking - wipe it off with Prepsol (or similar) - let that dry and shoot your paint..

Last edited:
Have the chrome stripped. prime and paint.At the very least use a adhesion promoter. like bull dog

I have paint bumpers & other things. All I do is scuff it with 320 grit. Any more finer & it will not stick or any more coarser & the scratches will show. Clean with a wax & grease remover. I always spray an adhesion promoter on it.

Like these guys said, sand blast or sand it to make it rough. I've painted a ton of chrome on my old shovelhead over the years.

Thanks everyone. I guess I will have to tape the part that will not be painted and scuff the other. Is that correct

Negative, I have the car disassembled and all of the chrome is in one place so I can clean and polish as time allows. Th car is in epozy primer with a coat of 2-K waiting to be sanded , reapplied and the paint to go on.

hey - I'd like to see that!
Here it is on the lift awhile back getting a new frame

image.jpeg

For the most part, obviously there are still factory parts involved (that's a night train rear wheel and bagger front, factory wide glide front end). I don't know if there's a shovel left out there that isn't custom in some way.

It's a factory motor, stroked and dual plug, 5 in a 4 case. It's a beater mostly because I'm hard on it, but it's fun.

If you are talking about the fine black lines and the red/blue I just used wax and grease remover on mine then painted it. Seems to be holding up well even sitting out in the sun.

That is exactly what I am doing. I have not had a lot of time lately so am doing small projects.
Thanks for the info

What sheen do you use for the paint. The remnants I see appears to be flat. I don't remember seeing one that is finished correctly, I think most are just chrome without any paint. Also, the same question for the front grill section. I have mine apart to clean and polish. The part connected to the back has been painted and is glossy which definitely doesn't look correct.

-
Back