How to thread on TKO600, need advice.

-

74SwingerA

Reaction score
Hey,

After a lot of review and speaking with some individuals on this forum I've decided that I may swap to a five speed tremec transmission. Me and my father have never redone a car to take a manual before and wanted some advice. We don't plan on getting to the transmission for at least eight to ten months but I would like to have a list of needed components and parts so when we do it will be complete and ready.

My car is originally a 318/904 car with a column shift. The plan was originally to swap in a beefier 727 and call it done but with this car being my daily and an autox car occasionally we felt that the fuel and improvements to cruising rpm that the extra money would be better spent on a tko.

So far I've added the TKO600 kit and the transmission from American power train to my shopping list, Linked bellow, along with a 130t flywheel and friction based clutch system from SST, also linked below. I'm shopping around for a package on a clutch pedal assembly and linkage if anyone knows of a kit avaliable.

1967-76 A-Body MOPAR Pro-Fit 5-speed Kit

New Tremec TKO600RR 5-Speed for Ford, 26-spline input

SST 10.5" X 1-1/8 26 Spline Clutch Kit Advanced Friction™ TRK

1045 Billet Steel Flywheel - New-440 Source

I know I am missing things so please complete my list. I want to keep it mechanical vs hydraulic. I am going to run tti exhaust and headers or have a local shop build me a custom set. It will be running a 440 I've been building and a Dana s60 eventually in the coming months. The car is a 1973 dodge dart swinger.

Looks like you've been doing your homework.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose American Powertrain's TKO 600 over SST's? Also, which gear set did you choose?

Doesn't American Powertrain have the clutch and brake pedals? Check with them. I thought they had it as part of their kit. If not, you'd might want to check with Brewer's Performance or maybe even Passon Performance for pedals.

Also, to convert your steering column from column shift to floor shift you might want to pick up one of these: Mancini Racing Steering Column Collar

Why American Powertrain over SST? To be honest after speaking to the reps I may very well go with SST. They seem much more accommodating and knowledgeable. The SST set-up does come with the pedals. I've also since decided I may as well go with the hydraulic set-up since I am limited for space as is with the 440/TTI set-up.

You are a god send for the link to the column collar. I have been looking everywhere for one of those.

So you think that's about it? What about clutch forks and such? Do you know if any other type of linkage is needed for a hydraulic set up?

Thank you,

Cody.

Why American Powertrain over SST? To be honest after speaking to the reps I may very well go with SST. They seem much more accommodating and knowledgeable. The SST set-up does come with the pedals. I've also since decided I may as well go with the hydraulic set-up since I am limited for space as is with the 440/TTI set-up.

You are a god send for the link to the column collar. I have been looking everywhere for one of those.

So you think that's about it? What about clutch forks and such? Do you know if any other type of linkage is needed for a hydraulic set up?

Thank you,

Cody.

If you go hydraulic, you won't need a clutch fork. Well, that's if you are going with the type of hydraulic like this one.

Silver Sport Transmissions PerfectFit™ Hydraulics Kit

Yep, that's the one I am thinking about going with.

Awesome, yeah I think this sounds good. Thank you for confirming with me, this saves me a lot of phone calls and time.

Cool!

Just don't wait so long, because I want to see pictures! LOL This is on my wish list. Right now I have a 4 speed with 3.23 gears. I kinda miss my 4.10's but at least with the 3.23's I can cruise on the highway. I'm king with an OD transmission I can go back to 4.10's though. I just need a magic wallet that never runs out of cash. LOL

I feel you - I went with a 3.74 rear end ratio as I believe it's the best performance/cruise-ability you can really get. Withe the TKO I can be at 70 with a 3000 RPM spin which will be a hellva lot better than the 727 and also get a theoretical top speed of 160 MPH which I think will be fun on the open straights of Sonoma or Laguna.

I am more and more tempted at purchasing the T56 for 7-800 dollars more but I want to be realistic as we sit now.

as for the pictures, I will be adding them as more time/work is done to the car. I have 6k in engine parts waiting for install and I am talking to the people at Dr. Diff about a custom ordered Dana S60. I don't have the type of bank account that allows me to purchase everything at once but there is a cool feature at SST that allows you to make payments over the course of 10 months. You put 10% down, pay ten payments and boom, they ship it out to you. So that makes this a whole lot more affordable.

I bought the Hurst kit. I'm going from a 4 speed to the TKO so my experience is different. All these kits are designed to go from Auto to manual so it will be easier for you than I. Cheaper for me as I had a lot of what they sell in the kits lick clutch, flywheel, zbar, etc. The Hurst kit is good came well bagged and good instructions.

I bought the Hurst kit. I'm going from a 4 speed to the TKO so my experience is different. All these kits are designed to go from Auto to manual so it will be easier for you than I. Cheaper for me as I had a lot of what they sell in the kits lick clutch, flywheel, zbar, etc. The Hurst kit is good came well bagged and good instructions.

Yeah, in retrospect it seems to have been easier to have started off with an automatic car. My car was originally a 3 speed on the floor, now it's a 4 speed, but I still want more gears. 5 gears would be nice, but now I'm used to a 6 speed since I also have a Tacoma with a 6 speed.

I went with a 3.74 rear.............With the the TKO I can be at 70 with a 3000 RPM spin which will be a hellva lot better than the 727 .

WTF?? My Dart before I took it apart is a Ford whatever is close to 3.7X, and with the tires I run, a 1:1 (727 + converter slip) is somewhere around 3300? I'd have to go look in the garage to see what size tires.....it's not jacked up or tubbed or anything

Hey,

After a lot of review and speaking with some individuals on this forum I've decided that I may swap to a five speed tremec transmission. Me and my father have never redone a car to take a manual before and wanted some advice. We don't plan on getting to the transmission for at least eight to ten months but I would like to have a list of needed components and parts so when we do it will be complete and ready.

My car is originally a 318/904 car with a column shift. The plan was originally to swap in a beefier 727 and call it done but with this car being my daily and an autox car occasionally we felt that the fuel and improvements to cruising rpm that the extra money would be better spent on a tko.

So far I've added the TKO600 kit and the transmission from American power train to my shopping list, Linked bellow, along with a 130t flywheel and friction based clutch system from SST, also linked below. I'm shopping around for a package on a clutch pedal assembly and linkage if anyone knows of a kit avaliable.

1967-76 A-Body MOPAR Pro-Fit 5-speed Kit

New Tremec TKO600RR 5-Speed for Ford, 26-spline input

SST 10.5" X 1-1/8 26 Spline Clutch Kit Advanced Friction™ TRK

1045 Billet Steel Flywheel - New-440 Source

I know I am missing things so please complete my list. I want to keep it mechanical vs hydraulic. I am going to run tti exhaust and headers or have a local shop build me a custom set. It will be running a 440 I've been building and a Dana s60 eventually in the coming months. The car is a 1973 dodge dart swinger.

Have you thought about a Passon Performance 5 speed? I have a TKO in my other mopar, and a Passon Performance in my Dart. I did have an issue with it, but Jamie stands behind his product. It'd save cutting the floor, cost was about the same for me, with a lot less work. And yes, I was not happy to remove the Passon Performance trans and ship it back, (on Jamie's dime) but I think he's got the issue worked out. I was pretty early on the waiting list. Just my 2 cents.

I I been thinkin about a 5 speed too. I think you can space the crossmember down slightly,still be within driveline angles and minimize floor cutting. Someone on here did a 67 cuda this way to clear a gear vendors unit. Didn't want to hammer the tunnel. Spaced it about an inch down and has had No vibration to 90 mph. At least it could save your torsion bar crossmember. I'd spend the few hundred on modifying to speed shift. Passions a great deal if you setup for a stick and their available now. I've heard they are good at standing behind their products

are passion 5 speeds very available now? I've been reading about long back orders on here, and am planning my manual trans swap now, anyone order recently with quick shipping?

are passion 5 speeds very available now? I've been reading about long back orders on here, and am planning my manual trans swap now, anyone order recently with quick shipping?

I think there is a waiting list still.

-
Back