Install Windshield on 69 Dart Sedan

-

blewbyoutobad

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
All, I've read many opinions on how to install glass my eyes are bleeding and I'm really confused. I am out in the country so no chance of getting a glass shop here. I have done one in an A100 but it was 15 years ago. I used the rope with the gasket on the windshield. Can anyone here cut through the chase and really tell me their experiences for the best way. Also I dont remember any butyl on the windshield when it came out. Can it be applied later if there is a leak?
Thanks FABO

I know on my Dart when I installed the back glass I put the rubber on the glass and roped it in from inside the car. On the front windshield I put the rubber in the car without the glass in it, then I set the glass in starting at the bottom center and working upwards to the top center. I worked the glass in to the rubber with a flat blade screw driver, but be very careful as it's easy to chip the glass. You can use a little soapy water on the rubber to ease it over the glass. I did not use any sealer as I do not plan driving my car in rain or thru car washes.

I used the string in the gasket method for front and back on my 69 Barracuda. Put the glass in the gasket, and wrap heavy twine all around in the groove in the gasket that will fit on the car's lip when installed, overlap the twine's ends by about 6" and lube the twine up with some soapy water. Oh, and a nice warm gasket works best; so lay it in the sun for a while first. Pull twine through from inside the car very slowly.

I'm planning on doing this soon myself so I can use all this info too.

Ted

I worked auto glass for a while and we used both methods frequently, but for mopars its easiest to use dragonsteel's method with one huge exception: do NOT use a screwdriver.
Get yourself a couple of these plastic sticks and slowly work your way around the glass until its seated. aloha- pauly

CRL Chisel Tip Windshield Stick Setting Tool by CR Laurence - Hand Caulking Guns - Amazon.com
Thanks all, I did it last night by myself with the gasket on the frame. It worked out well, with the exception that I should have streatched the top of the gasket first so it fit better. My 6" pocket comb worked really good.

I worked auto glass for a while and we used both methods frequently, but for mopars its easiest to use dragonsteel's method with one huge exception: do NOT use a screwdriver.
Get yourself a couple of these plastic sticks and slowly work your way around the glass until its seated. aloha- pauly

CRL Chisel Tip Windshield Stick Setting Tool by CR Laurence - Hand Caulking Guns - Amazon.com

Yes proper tools are recommended, I'm not advocating the use of the screwdriver
for windshield installation, I just honestly stated how I accomplished the install on my Dart.

I'm going to use the factory-recommended butyl sealant. For the front I can apply it between the gasket and the frame, especially at the bottom where there is not a full lip.

What about the rear window? Seems like it'd be awful messy to put butyl on the body lip and then rope the glass from the inside. Could I just use a needle tip and squirt it under the seal afterwards?

These are called chisel sticks. $5 at Amazon.
31uwPFV4ghL.jpg

-
Back