Interchangeable Hood Years?

-

OCswinger

Reaction score
Hey ya'll, is there a thread or info out there regarding interchangeable hood years for the '74 Duster? I'm at the point in my build where I can pretty much go any direction. So if I need to swap out a grill I don't mind.
Wouldn't even mind if it's cross model. SO if anyone knows anything could you point me in the right direction?

thanks

Jon

You'd have to swap more than just the hood and grille. You could use a 70-72 duster hood, but you'd need to swap the grille, hood latch panel, lower grille to bumper filler panel, and bumper. The grille swap would take adding some brackets too I believe if you keep the '74 fenders, but that's not a big deal.

The only other swap that would keep that fenders would be a 67-69 valiant, but you'd still have to swap everything listed above for that one too.

The problem is that the 73+ duster stuff has a peak in the middle of the grille, filler panel and bumper, so you really can't re-use those parts with the earlier stuff which is flat.

You'd have to swap more than just the hood and grille. You could use a 70-72 duster hood, but you'd need to swap the grille, hood latch panel, lower grille to bumper filler panel, and bumper. The grille swap would take adding some brackets too I believe if you keep the '74 fenders, but that's not a big deal.

The only other swap that would keep that fenders would be a 67-69 valiant, but you'd still have to swap everything listed above for that one too.

The problem is that the 73+ duster stuff has a peak in the middle of the grille, filler panel and bumper, so you really can't re-use those parts with the earlier stuff which is flat.
Shoot, looks like I'm putting in some work on the old steel one. Thanks for the info 72'

Yeah, it's definitely some work. If you decide to go through with it, please keep us posted.

I've had similar thoughts about swapping the front end of my '73 Dart over to a '68 or '69 front end...but in the end, the level of work means that it would only be worthwhile to me if I loathed the look of the '73+ nose (I actually like it just fine) or that there was front end damage and I needed new metal anyway.

IMO, there isn't a damn thing wrong with how a '74 Duster looks. Honestly, I think they're the absolute best example of the mid-70s styling that came along after the glory days. They're not as sleek or inherently beautiful as the designs from half a decade earlier but the mid-70s Duster/Valiant nose is well proportioned, rugged and tasteful. Purely my opinion!!

.... Thanks for the info 72'

Some forum members around here absolutely blow me away with the depths of their knowledge and their generosity. 72bluNblu is absolutely one of those guys. Brian has helped me out a TON.

Some forum members around here absolutely blow me away with the depths of their knowledge and their generosity. 72bluNblu is absolutely one of those guys. Brian has helped me out a TON.

Thanks! Just trying to help out with what I can.

Here's some more info on swapping bodywork. This one is a little more focused on the swapping the whole front clip, but it has some useful information even just for year conversions within models.

Front Clip Swaps

Yeah, it's definitely some work. If you decide to go through with it, please keep us posted.

I've had similar thoughts about swapping the front end of my '73 Dart over to a '68 or '69 front end...but in the end, the level of work means that it would only be worthwhile to me if I loathed the look of the '73+ nose (I actually like it just fine) or that there was front end damage and I needed new metal anyway.

IMO, there isn't a damn thing wrong with how a '74 Duster looks. Honestly, I think they're the absolute best example of the mid-70s styling that came along after the glory days. They're not as sleek or inherently beautiful as the designs from half a decade earlier but the mid-70s Duster/Valiant nose is well proportioned, rugged and tasteful. Purely my opinion!!

I love the way it looks, I think I was just thinking of the availability of parts. I don't think my hood is in terrible shape but, there is some separation going on between the skin and the frame. Is it petty? Sure. But, I am trying to remember my auto shop skills from 1999. Thank God for FABO and YouTube tech. I also LOVE the styling. Thanks for talking me off the ledge.
And couldn't agree more on 72bluNblu, he's dropped a ton of knowledge on a bunch of topics, glad to get some perspective.

Alright, not sure why it didn't post my reply but, thanks for talking me off the ledge.

You typed your reply into the quote box from the other post your quoted. Your reply is there, but you have to expand the quote box and scroll down to see it. And of course sort it out from what MRGTX said. :D

-
Back