is it neccesary to paint under carpet?

-

ed mullen

Reaction score
I am in the process of abating the rust on the floor of my wife's '70. Valiant. I plan to applty epoxy primer and. Install carpet.
Most people seem to paint the floor. Is there a reason to not just carpet over epoxy?

Most primers are not a sealed surface, but then the enamel paint applied at the factory didn't prevent rust either. Lets consider the paint a added layer of protection. If you can afford the paint... Paint it.

I use roll on bed liner, as it is super tuff, sticks like mad and can be painted over later with body color if you so desire.

I use roll on bed liner, as it is super tuff, sticks like mad and can be painted over later with body color if you so desire.

I used POR 15 for the my floors as well as spray on bedliner. The bed liner stuff will help dampen road noise. I think your better off using the POR 15 instead of epoxying it.

what is the condition of your floors...

if your talking to me, my floors were showing signs of surface rust when I pulled my carpet. No major pitting or anything like that, but once rust starts, it's hard to stop. I've had good luck with POR 15 in the past on other projects. My entire undercarriage and inside floors are covered in POR 15. I wire wheeled the entire thing then sprayed it on. Pay close attention to their instructions on prepping the surface and follow them! otherwise, the coating will not be as strong.

what is the condition of your floors...

if your talking to me, my floors were showing signs of surface rust when I pulled my carpet. No major pitting or anything like that, but once rust starts, it's hard to stop. I've had good luck with POR 15 in the past on other projects. My entire undercarriage and inside floors are covered in POR 15. I wire wheeled the entire thing then sprayed it on. Pay close attention to their instructions on prepping the surface and follow them! otherwise, the coating will not be as strong.

Chasis saver is much more forgiving in terms of application, and provides the same level of protection.

Really though you can't beat Rustoleum for the price and quality when you won't see the finished product at all.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

if it is surface rust i would just touch up those areas with something similar.
..somewhere down the road someone will lift that carpet and see those original untouched floors.

There is surface rust in three of the pans.

The worst of it is in the passenger pan, since the heater core had failed.

The driver side, and one side of the rear are not nearly as bad, but the rusty brake line was touching the floor and rotted through. I'll need to patch that.

There is also rust through in the passenger wheel house, presumably under the rear bench. (I have not pulled the rear bench yet. I have only seen it from below.) I am pulling the bench this weekend.

The underside was undercoated and seems to have held up well. There is surface rust where it has worn thin where the tires kick stuff up from the road at it, but on the inside, with the exception of catching cancer form the brake line, the rust all seems to be from above (heater core leak, spilled drinks, etc.)

I may just clean up the surface rust to bare metal where practical, clean w/Prep-n-Etch, and apply self etching primer, then spray what I can't get 100% clean with rust reformer, and go over all of it with enamel (all Rustoleum products except the Prep-n-Etch).

I might consider bedliner.

Thanks again.

I do wire wheel then rust reformer even on the surface rust then a couple coats of self etching or regular primer then top it with leak seal spray or a couple coats of paint.

-
Back