issue with my 904

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
i just rebuild my 904 and got it put back into the car.. dad took it for a run and it ran good but the shifts where soft. didnt notice a kick down shift he wasnt paying attention for it.. now im going to take it for a run to see how it shifts and kicks down and listen for flare myself. if everything feels fine for the shifts and no flare y would the shifts be soft.. i put a TF-2 shift kit in it. could it be i need to screw in the PR a little and not have a flush like said in the instructions? forgot to readjust the kickdown cable and its not adjusted propperly.. would it being to lost be the issue for a soft ****?

Last edited:
i just rebuild my 904 and got it put back into the car.. dad took it for a run and it ran good but the shifts where soft. didnt notice a kick down shift he wasnt paying attention for it.. now im going to take it for a run to see how it shifts and kicks down and listen for flare myself. if everything feels fine for the shifts and no flare y would the shifts be soft.. i put a TF-2 shift kit in it. could it be i need to screw in the PR a little and not have a flush like said in the instructions? forgot to readjust the kickdown cable and its not adjusted propperly.. would it being to lost be the issue for a soft ****?[
i just rebuild my 904 and got it put back into the car.. dad took it for a run and it ran good but the shifts where soft. didnt notice a kick down shift he wasnt paying attention for it.. now im going to take it for a run to see how it shifts and kicks down and listen for flare myself. if everything feels fine for the shifts and no flare y would the shifts be soft.. i put a TF-2 shift kit in it. could it be i need to screw in the PR a little and not have a flush like said in the instructions? forgot to readjust the kickdown cable and its not adjusted propperly.. would it being to lost be the issue for a soft ****?
Yes a TV cable or linkage that is to low will cause soft and early light throttle up shifts with no full throttle kick down, base set linkage or cable to full travel at full throttle. Then road test and fine tune to feel. Lon

thanks. i have the cable proper i for got to set it before the first run. wot with lever all the way back.

You sure you have enough fluid in there? Confirm 2 quarts or so in the converter?

You sure you have enough fluid in there? Confirm 2 quarts or so in the converter?
Yup deep pan it took 7 quarts the txt had fluid ready. We even checked it once warmed up and only had to add half a quart to top it off.

ok i took the car out and it shifts from 1 to 2 alright but not as firm as i expected it should be.. i didnt notice a shift from 2 to 3. didnt hear and flaring or slipping.. still not sure it will kick down. oil is full.
i have a block accumulator.

AandA said it sounds like a valve body issue after telling him how its acting..
transgo said lets check the pressure of the accumulator before we troubleshoot more.
well we will see what tomorrow brings.. Saturday is when we have a race and need it finished.. lets hope we can get it fixed in time.

update. after some time talking to transgo we figured out we had to much TV pressure. we did a test at idle and was at 90psi and when under some acceleration it went to 125.. so with that said i readjusted the kick down to losen it up some and now i get 75psi idle and 125psi acceleration.. my kickdown cable was over tight and stretching./ now the car shifts on time and gos in to 3rd. before it wouldnt shift into 3rd until 55mph.

-
Back