jack stands

-

ptbill

Reaction score
Lost the pins to my jack stands. What can I use to replace the pins so they are safe.
Thanks Bill

We're going to need more information. What kind of jack stands? Got a picture?

If it's this kind, nothing you put in place of the pin will make them safe, because they weren't really safe to begin with.
393349024.jpg

A grade 8 bolt, I think 3/8" x 3"

How on earth did you figure that out?

The OP gave no information on his jack stands. None. So how can you even begin to guess what size bolt will work? Are these 3 ton stands? 12? 20? 1?

I mean absolute minimum you’d want the shear strength on the pin to match the jack stand rating. Realistically the stand is probably gonna put the pin in double shear so that would be an additional safety margin. But we really don’t even know that without knowing what kind of stand this is. The one I posted a picture of is just an example. And if he’s got that kind, he should recycle it and buy something less likely to kill him.

Easy that is what I use, so what is your peoblem?

If I would have known it would have caused this much drama I would have never asked, so sorry.

The OP gave no information on his jack stands. None. So how can you even begin to guess what size bolt will work? Are these 3 ton stands? 12? 20? 1?

I mean absolute minimum you’d want the shear strength on the pin to match the jack stand rating. Realistically the stand is probably gonna put the pin in double shear so that would be an additional safety margin. But we really don’t even know that without knowing what kind of stand this is. The one I posted a picture of is just an example. And if he’s got that kind, he should recycle it and buy something less likely to kill him.

In my youth I had the ones like you pictured.Lost the pin on one of them....Stuck a screw driver in it and used them for years before I could afford the good ones. Never had a problem...was I lucky? ...Probably.

The car is a 65 Barracuda that weights around 3000lb. The most any stand will need to carry is 700 to 900lbs. You might be over thinking the situation

But slip with a jack and drop same car 1” and the calculations go out the window. The safety margin needs to be there.

Also, they are called safety stands. For a reason. Please play safe.

Easy that is what I use, so what is your peoblem?

Again, how do you know what jack stands the original poster uses? He hasn't actually said, we have no idea what kind of stands they are or what their rating is supposed to be. The picture is one I posted as an example, not necessarily what the OP has. So, you're just assuming he uses the same stands as you do, which is what I was trying to point out to begin with. He didn't say what stands he has, so, none of us can really know what will work for him. Especially not to the exact dimensions you posted.

In my youth I had the ones like you pictured.Lost the pin on one of them....Stuck a screw driver in it and used them for years before I could afford the good ones. Never had a problem...was I lucky? ...Probably.

Yeah, I've used stands like the one's I posted as well, with crappy bolts inserted for pins before I knew better. I've also seen those stands collapse. So, yeah, I know I was lucky, and that's why I'd never use a stand like that again. Or recommend anyone else does either, regardless of the pin strength.

Once again, this is assuming a 3/8" bolt will fit. I've seen stands like the one I posted that used 1/4" pins, not 3/8". But we have no idea what will fit the stands the OP has or what their load rating is (or is supposed to be). You're right though, many sizes of grade 8 bolts will have a shear strength that will be more than enough to support a corner of a car in double shear, if that's the only concern.

But slip with a jack and drop same car 1” and the calculations go out the window. The safety margin needs to be there.

Exactly!

The car is a 65 Barracuda that weights around 3000lb. The most any stand will need to carry is 700 to 900lbs. You might be over thinking the situation

I just gave the only recommendation that any one can give based on the information you gave. At minimum you need a pin that has enough shear strength to support the load, plus a significant margin of safety if you're smart. You should be trying to match the rating on the jack stands, so if they're 3 ton stands that means you need a pin with a shear of 6,000 lbs if you want the rating to stay the same. I never said a bolt wouldn't work, but you should know the ballpark shear strength of whatever it is you put in there, because your life might depend on it.

Do whatever you want, you're the one that will be under it. All I'm saying is that you should think a little about the consequences before you just slap some random pin in there. And if you're really using those 3 legged sheetmetal stands, well, good luck.

Sorry, I don't like the looks of ANY of those plastic things. Years ago, when I was stuck with ramps, I welded fore/aft support angles under mine with sheet metal for more surface on "ground."

So far as the pins, I bet the shear strength of a GRADE 2 bolt is more more MORE than way strong enough. You are looking at TWO shear point's per jackstand, that makes 8 for the weight of the car

If it's this kind, nothing you put in place of the pin will make them safe, because they weren't really safe to begin with.
View attachment 1715138146

Like this.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLwAFVOJbZAw4SOPgqJzLgqkQewTDxOrPr-kyfsO4mDImXdSEs2w.jpg

I knew some folks who were close to a story near us where a man was killed.
Jack stands fail, but more often than not accidents are due to human error in positioning the stands properly.
Man killed by car when jack fails – Orange County Register

I never fully trust just the stands due to potential of shifting, so always have a back-up, usually the car wheels go under, or wood blocks if job does not include wheel removal. If not possible because of clearance or lack of availability, I at least include keeping the jack at play with a bit of load on it in a position that is most affective at minimizing the shifting potential of the stands on their own. You will note the story include recommendation of wood blocking in case stands fail to do the job.

Last edited:
-
Back