Jeep 4.0 guys,check this out....

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Was cruising websites,found this at Eddy land ..
(Smog legal pending,to boot...
50169.jpg

• Cylinder Head Specifications:
  • Combustion chamber volume: 55cc
  • Intake runner volume: 144cc
  • Exhaust runner volume: 77cc
  • Intake valve diameter: 1.91"
  • Exhaust valve diameter: 1.50"
  • Valve stem diameter: 5/16"
  • Valve guides: Manganese bronze
  • Deck thickness: .750"
  • Valve spring diameter: 1.26"
  • Valve spring maximum lift: .540"
  • Rocker stud: N/A
  • Guideplate: N/A
  • Pushrod diameter: N/A
  • Valve angle: 10° (stock)
  • Exhaust port location: Stock (1991-98)
  • Spark plug fitment: 14mm x 3/4 reach, gasket seat

This new Performer cylinder head is designed as a bolt-on performance upgrade for 1987-2006 Jeeps with a 4.0L inline six cylinder engine. The Performer Jeep 4.0L is designed with 1991-2006 4.0L intake port locations and must be used with 1991-2006 intake manifold. The Performer Jeep 4.0L is designed with 1991-98 4.0L exhaust port locations and must be used with 1991-98 factory header or aftermarket exhaust header. This cylinder head will also fit 1976-90 AMC 4.2L engines with no modification to the water jacket and the appropriate intake manifold and header combination.
The Performer Jeep cylinder head features all-new better flowing intake/exhaust ports along with a modern combustion chamber design and backcut and swirl polished valves. It retains the stock valve angle, pushrod length and valve cover rail height for use with factory components and off the shelf accessories. It also features larger reinforced rocker bosses for improved strength at high RPM and Heli-Coil® threaded inserts in the manifold bolt holes for added strength. A 3/4" deck throughout the head also promotes stiffness and durability. This cylinder head is machined to accept either distributor or coil pack ignition.

This cylinder head is pending 50-state emission legal for 4.0L engines when used with factory Fuel Injection components. It’s also pending 50-state emission legal for 4.2L engines when used with a Mopar Fuel Injection Conversion Kit (E.O. Number D-265-21).

Bare (Single) Complete (Single)
Application Dyno Emissions Satin Satin
Performer Jeep 4.0l Inline Six pending 50159 50169
icon-install-note.png
INSTALLATION NOTE: Recommended spark plugs: Champion RC12YC or equivalent 14mm x 3/4" reach with flat gasket seat. Recommended gasket for 4.0L: Edelbrock #7348 or Fel-Pro #26211PT. Deck thickness: 3/4".
#50169: Flow Numbers as tested by Edelbrock's SuperFlo SF-1020 flow bench @ 28" H2O
Valve Lift .100" .200" .300" .400" .500" .600" .700"
Intake 66 123 179 221 241 237 -
Exhaust 63 103 127 144 151 155 -
icon-tech-note.png
TECH NOTE: Please view Cylinder Head Flow Data and Valve Springs & Retainers for all Edelbrock Performance Aluminum Cylinder Heads.
icon-tech-note.png
PRODUCT EMISSIONS GUIDE
The following guide is designed to help you determine which Edelbrock components are legal for use on your vehicle. Learn more about Edelbrock Product Emissions Guide.
eo-green.jpg
50-State Legal
eo-red.jpg
For Racing Use ONLY
eo-blue.jpg
For Use on Pre-Pollution Controlled Vehicles (PPCV)
eo-black.jpg
Stock Replacement Part
eo-yellow.jpg
Engine Swaps

What is the difference in the pre 98 head vs the 99 and later???

What's the deal with the intake and exhaust port matching for the different years???

What is the difference in the pre 98 head vs the 99 and later???

What's the deal with the intake and exhaust port matching for the different years???
I dunno,lol...Just thought is was cool,someone's stepping up,KK....

I dunno,lol...Just thought is was cool,someone's stepping up,KK....
Yeah, it's cool...

They made millions of those, there should be a good market for them...

We have a 99 Cherokee and the 4.0 L is a great engine...

My twisted mind wants to see what it will do bolted onto a 4.2 Gremlin.

My twisted mind wants to see what it will do bolted onto a 4.2 Gremlin.
Seen what a 258 Gremlin with slapper bars ,& N 50-15's do in stoplight to stoplight action, it's outright fun..Lotsa 3 unsynchronized 3 speed replacement 's...,

Funny how some of the 4.2 and 4.0 parts can be interchanged and be made into 4.5-4.7L strokers.
I had a 1992 Jeep Cherokee once. One of the most reliable motors I've ever owned. Sold to a buddy at 250k miles. Who then gave it to his son and then in turn he sold it to a friend of his... The thing finally broke down in Vernal Utah with 360K miles on it... The transmission finally had enough. (Aisin 5 speed) He recycled it, as it was cancered out pretty badly anyways.

They changes the port design along with intake/exhaust manifold redesign. The earlier design was a carry over from the 4.2 which was designed in the 50's. It was a tractor engine no matter how you sliced it...the port changes were so it would meet stricter emissions requirements. They do last a long time if you dont spend much time on freeway. I bet that head costs more than one of our Magnum swap kits!!!

I seem to recall Horse Power TV did a build on a 4.0 Jeep motor and I think they used the Edelbrock head. When they were finished building the motor they stuck it on their dyno. It made some stout numbers but I can't recall exactly what those numbers were.

I remember one of the members of a local Jeep forum putting a 4.6L stroker in his rock crawling wrangler, Lets put it this way, he was able to easily keep up with or even did better than the chevy V8 CJ's and even the dodge V8's.
There was one oddity that did really good too: A 1977 Jeep Cherokee with a lightly beefed up 401.
Those 4.0L motors have so much low-end grunt. When I had my Jeep I rarely had to rev the motor up. In the 8 years I had it I only got stuck once (mainly due to operator error). I tried to do a very rough trail with a non-lifted stock XJ. My buddy and his lifted modified 79' K5 blazer pulled me out, the only time I'll let a Chevy pull me out...
Daniel Strohl was even able to net about 22.5 mpg's with his 4.6L in his jeep in this Hemmings article: Project HMX – fine-tuning the stroker | Hemmings Daily

That said my next endeavor is I will get another Ramcharger. (I've owned numerous old school Ram's & Ramchargers) My goal is to make it kind of an all purpose (street, hunting, winter driver, trail riding, rugrat hauler) rig. Nothing too extreme, 3-4 inch lift max maybe, 33-35 inch tires.

I have pulled a dozen stroked 4.0's out of TJ's during the last 18 years of doing Magnum swaps into Wranglers and never had one impress me nor have I ever seen one get better than 12mpg. Same with the Avenger SC's that were all the rage for a few years until everybody figured out they didnt work. This is my all purpose unit which has closer to 350HP and gets 18mpg on drive from Oregon to Moab and back again. V8 swap or Edelbrock mexican head is a simple choice to me:D

01tj.jpg

yellow-jeep-tj-v8-engine-swap.png

-
Back