Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

-
The engine is a '74, and I think the transmission is too, but I'll know for sure once it's out.
As for the throttle pressure, I have a Bouchillon cable setup. .....
Gonna re-watch the video(s) .....can't do much right now....hate this time of year when it's dark when I get home. ..!!!

Jeff

You will need to use the pickup extension that matches whatever pan depth you go with. Most new pans come with the correct extension.

Last edited:
Well, I got it out....it's' on my garage floor.....
I'm getting way too old for this crap!
I'll post up pics and a removal write up tomorrow. .....

Kicked my ***.....lol

(Getting it all back together should be fun!)

Jeff

Ok.....
Pulled the drive shaft...
20180105_082636.jpg

And plugged the tailshaft

20180105_082729.jpg

Disconnected the battery, removed the starter and then the inspection plate...

20180105_091354.jpg

Marked the flex plate and torque converter and unbolted it....

20180105_091535.jpg

Bag and tag everything

20180105_092429.jpg

Disconnected shifter linkage, speedometer cable, cooler lines, etc...
Then out she came.....

20180106_084248.jpg

20180106_084255.jpg

20180106_084305.jpg

Now it's all bench work....much easier on my back!!!!!

Jeff

Ok.....
Pulled the drive shaft...
View attachment 1715127605

And plugged the tailshaft

View attachment 1715127606

Disconnected the battery, removed the starter and then the inspection plate...

View attachment 1715127607

Marked the flex plate and torque converter and unbolted it....

View attachment 1715127608

Bag and tag everything

View attachment 1715127609

Disconnected shifter linkage, speedometer cable, cooler lines, etc...
Then out she came.....

View attachment 1715127610
View attachment 1715127611
View attachment 1715127612

Now it's all bench work....much easier on my back!!!!!

Jeff

Great job. Looking forward to the bench work.

I believe I have correctly decoded the date code.....

20180107_091127.jpg

Day 7109 is Tuesday, January 13, 1981

Anything good or bad about a 1981 727?????

Jeff

Nothing good enough to brag about and nothing worse than any 70s era 727. All non-lockup 727 transmissions, whether big block or small block, can have differing numbers of discs in the clutch packs, and that affects torque capacity. Just make sure the rebuild goes smoothly and you'll get years of trouble free service in your application. If you substantially increase engine torque from where you are now, you need to start upgrading friction materials and steels, as well as hard parts. The 727 is pretty stout even in stock form.

Nothing good enough to brag about and nothing worse than any 70s era 727. All non-lockup 727 transmissions, whether big block or small block, can have differing numbers of discs in the clutch packs, and that affects torque capacity. Just make sure the rebuild goes smoothly and you'll get years of trouble free service in your application. If you substantially increase engine torque from where you are now, you need to start upgrading friction materials and steels, as well as hard parts. The 727 is pretty stout even in stock form.

Ok...thanks.....
It is a non-lockup and although I haven't torn it down yet, I'm going to assume it has 3 gear planetaries.....
I'll just proceed with the rebuild as planned.....
It's obviously a junk yard unit based on the yellow paint in the input shaft!

image000000.jpg

But it's a 727 so I'm sure it'll be quite strong when I'm done. ...

Jeff

Yep. Trail Beast is right on the money with this. The grooved input shaft with a yellow paint marking is mentioned in both Carl Monroe's & Tom Hand's books as being a heavy duty part usually fitted to 440 Six Pack, 426 HEMI & some 401 AMC transmissions. Who knows what other nice surprises you may find once you get inside it. Maybe 4 pinion planetaries?? I'm watching!!

Yep. Trail Beast is right on the money with this. The grooved input shaft with a yellow paint marking is mentioned in both Carl Monroe's & Tom Hand's books as being a heavy duty part usually fitted to 440 Six Pack, 426 HEMI & some 401 AMC transmissions. Who knows what other nice surprises you may find once you get inside it. Maybe 4 pinion planetaries?? I'm watching!!

4 pinion planetary would be a nice find indeed!
My books should be delivered today.....can't wait!
Would this heavy duty transmission be unusual for 1981? Maybe a big block truck or something?

Jeff

It will not fit behind a big block because the bell housing patterns Big/Small Block are different. The PK stamping number says it's a 727 behind a 318 between 1981 & 83. Could be that during assembly time they only had HD input shafts to choose from & your transmission came up lucky.

It will not fit behind a big block because the bell housing patterns Big/Small Block are different. The PK stamping number says it's a 727 behind a 318 between 1981 & 83. Could be that during assembly time they only had HD input shafts to choose from & your transmission came up lucky.
oh ya....the bell housing....I wasn't thinking...LOL
Or maybe someone over the years did some upgrading.....can't wait to dig inside!

Thanks!

Jeff

Considering it's age and how clean it is on the outside (their usually a giant grease ball) it could very well have been rebuilt and had internal parts swapped

I have had a few truck and motorhome cores from the late 70s / early 80s that had the yellow paint daub hardened input shaft. They all had the hd planetaries and extra clutches.

DO NOT intermix the parts with pre 76 parts (output shaft, rear planetary and some other parts, I would have to check my notes). The spline angle on the forward end of the output shaft changed and, while they will go together they will not live.

-
Back