Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

-
The book by the late Carl Monroe and a FSM from 67 are all I used to make my first attempt at rebuilding a 727. I read the FSM trans overhaul section repeatedly, on the pot, in bed, on the couch, to the point that I literally could rebuild it start to finish in my head. When the time came to actually tear it apart there were no surprises and the whole process went smoothly. The most fiddly part is inserting the piston in the hubs, making sure the pump bushing is staked well and other than improvising various tools the rest is straight forward. Good luck!

The book by the late Carl Monroe and a FSM from 67 are all I used to make my first attempt at rebuilding a 727. I read the FSM trans overhaul section repeatedly, on the pot, in bed, on the couch, to the point that I literally could rebuild it start to finish in my head. When the time came to actually tear it apart there were no surprises and the whole process went smoothly. The most fiddly part is inserting the piston in the hubs, making sure the pump bushing is staked well and other than improvising various tools the rest is straight forward. Good luck!

I'll be reading this over and over as well as watching the video many times.....already starting to get my head around it.....
All the engine in the world don't mean a thing if I can't get it to the wheels!

Jeff

Received my deep pan this morning!

image000001 (1).jpg

Jeff

That is the same pan that was on our 727 when we pulled it.

It didn't come with a filter extender……so the previous owner never installed one. Lol. We ordered one.

We are in the same process as you are. Ours looked really good inside.

We tore it down on Sunday night. That's my friend Shane in the picture with my 15 year old son Jason having a group hug with the 727. lol.

We inspected all the parts. It's a 1971 trans according to the PK number. I don't know how to tell the date from the other number. Maybe you can help with that.

The clutches were flaking a little, the steels were slightly burnt. The bands were a little flaky, but everything appears to be original, so it's about what we expected.

No hard parts damage, and unfortunately no surprise cool parts like yours. Lol. Regular input shaft and 3 gear planetaries.

Chrysler's 10,000-Day Calendar

November, 24 1971 is our build date.

Great link.

I'll but out of your thread now. Lol

Eric
I was about to look up that date for you but I see you found the calendar!
Don't butt out.....this is a group effort for both of us!
The ultimate 727 thread for beginners!

Jeff

Last edited:
Got some more stuff delivered.....can't wait for the weekend to get back to work on this!

TransGo TF-2 Shift Kit

image000001 (2).jpg

Transmission cooler

image000001 (3).jpg

Jeff

Hey! That box looks kinda familiar. Lol. We also ordered the filter extension, 6" reverse band, and one of the servos came in. The other servo should be here tomorrow, and the rebuild kit should be here Friday.

Did you read the instructions in that transgo kit. Lol. WOW!

There's more paper than parts. Very involved. Lol

IMG_3461.JPG

Hey! That box looks kinda familiar. Lol. We also ordered the filter extension, 6" reverse band, and one of the servos came in. The other servo should be here tomorrow, and the rebuild kit should be here Friday.

Did you read the instructions in that transgo kit. Lol. WOW!

There's more paper than parts. Very involved. Lol

View attachment 1715129009
LOL.....haven't even had time to open the box yet.....!
Pretty in depth huh???

This is part 1 of a 4 part video of the installation on YouTube...

Jeff

EDIT: May as well add the others.....

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Jeff

Last edited:
Just make sure you have a really good pair of snap ring pliers. This trans has some snap rings that are really thick and bent our harbor freight snap ring pliers like they were toys. Lol

And don't forget to order the filter extension for your deep pan
Gonna order that today.....$35.00 Ebay.....

Just make sure you have a really good pair of snap ring pliers. This trans has some snap rings that are really thick and bent our harbor freight snap ring pliers like they were toys. Lol

Which pliers did you end up getting that worked?????

Jeff

The Trans-go instructions make it seem the kit is a bunch of work to install, and it is more involved than some of the slam-bang kits out there but in reality it's not that much work. Reading through the instructions before you start is always a good idea.

Don't know if I mentioned it earlier but a front pump bushing from a GM 350 turbo is the same diameter as a 727 but 1/8" wider. I always use them to better support the converter. Make sure to use a babbit type bushing, not bronze. A bronze bushing will wear out the converter snout much quicker.

Jeff, also make sure to install a good aftermarket rear servo as the pressure increase with the TF-2 kit can crack an old stock servo.

Another tip is DO NOT use a 5.0 kickdown lever as some recommend. I have found they generally cause 2-3 shift overlap. I only use a 3.8 or 4.2 lever with a stock VB even if it has a shift improver kit. The 5.0 lever was originally designed for the Hemi trans which used a wider and tougher front band to compress so it needed the 5.0 lever. Most aftermarket manual shift valve bodies recommend it and that's fine because their programmed to use it.

The Trans-go instructions make it seem the kit is a bunch of work to install, and it is more involved than some of the slam-bang kits out there but in reality it's not that much work. Reading through the instructions before you start is always a good idea.

Don't know if I mentioned it earlier but a front pump bushing from a GM 350 turbo is the same diameter as a 727 but 1/8" wider. I always use them to better support the converter. Make sure to use a babbit type bushing, not bronze. A bronze bushing will wear out the converter snout much quicker.

Jeff, also make sure to install a good aftermarket rear servo as the pressure increase with the TF-2 kit can crack an old stock servo.

Another tip is DO NOT use a 5.0 kickdown lever as some recommend. I have found they generally cause 2-3 shift overlap. I only use a 3.8 or 4.2 lever with a stock VB even if it has a shift improver kit. The 5.0 lever was originally designed for the Hemi trans which used a wider and tougher front band to compress so it needed the 5.0 lever. Most aftermarket manual shift valve bodies recommend it and that's fine because their programmed to use it.

Thank you! More good information. ....!
I gotta work today, but hoping to get out early. ....if not, tear down will be tomorrow morning at first light!

I'm thinking I'll pull the valve body first and install the shift kit then move on to the rest of the transmission. ....not sure yet...lol.
There's so many things to do I'm not sure what order to go in.....

Jeff

There's so many things to do I'm not sure what order to go in.....

Jeff
I would disassemble the whole transmission first to see what you really have. You may need some other parts that you haven't ordered yet. Once everything has been torn down & inspected you will know exactly what is needed.

-
Back