Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

-
I would disassemble the whole transmission first to see what you really have. You may need some other parts that you haven't ordered yet. Once everything has been torn down & inspected you will know exactly what is needed.
That's a good point....almost certainly I'll be ordering more parts.....
OK.....now I have a plan!

Jeff

I would disassemble the whole transmission first to see what you really have. You may need some other parts that you haven't ordered yet. Once everything has been torn down & inspected you will know exactly what is needed.

That's what I always do. Find out what you need. Order parts and while waiting for them to come clean what you have and install the shift kit

That's what I always do. Find out what you need. Order parts and while waiting for them to come clean what you have and install the shift kit
Well, today I finally have a day off work.....I'm gonna go out to the garage at first light and tear the transmission down...!

Jeff

Good luck bud. Take it nice and slow.

We're planing on doing the same this afternoon. Yesterday was engine, today must be national transmission day. Lol

Eric

Good luck bud. Take it nice and slow.

We're planing on doing the same this afternoon. Yesterday was engine, today must be national transmission day. Lol

Eric
One more cup of coffee and I'm going in :thumbsup:

Jeff

Ok....it's torn down. ...very easy.
I haven't disassembled the sub-assemblies yet....

image000000-2.jpg

More good news...

image000000-5.jpg

4 pinion planetaries

Random pics...

image000000-26.jpg

image000000-10.jpg

image000000-4.jpg

Jeff

Was hoping to find a bolt in spag...but nope.....

Gonna get to work on the valve body and tearing down the sub-assemblies next so I can see what I still need to order....

Jeff

Its been apart before, dont lose the fibre washer on the front of the output shaft (in the planetary pic).

To keep everything simple and straight, what I do is, from where you are now, disassemble, inspect, repair and reassemble the sub assemblies one at time. Be sure to follow the instructions to air check everything as it goes back together.

Nice to see a 4 pinion front plantary in there! Also looks like you can get 5 thin frictions in that reverse/high drum. The snap ring groove is cut high enough.

Looks like it might have a restrictor put in the main case oil passage, at the front of the case, third hole down from the valve body retention bolt hole. Probably already has a shift kit.

Lots of people toss the spring however the research I have done suggests that it should still be in there. I have tossed them on quite a few builds but now leave them in. If you want the spring let me know and I will send you one. If it has a restrictor in the main case as I mentioned above (looks like a small steel cup with a hole drilled in it) it has most likely had some form of kit put in it. Also, when you open up the valve body, if you see the one hole has been drilled to join two passages (your transgo kit has a drill guide for this) it is a dead giveaway that it has had a kit put in it.

@prorac1
How did yours come out?

Jeff

We didn't get much done today. Had some stuff to take care of in the house. But we did get the rest of the clutch packs pulled apart, the apply piston pulled apart, and the case and tailshaft housing cleaned.

We also figured out that the apply piston seal was shot and burned up the steels pretty bad in that drum. One was warped. Lol.

We're going to get some cleaning discs to clean up the band surface of the drums, and a 3.8 kick down lever and finish it up next Sunday.

Oh. And I heli coiled a couple of pan bolt holes. Lol.

It looks like you had a productive day.

We're going to get some cleaning discs to clean up the band surface of the drums, and a 3.8 kick down lever and finish it up next Sunday.

With all my work hours, I can easily see this taking me 2 or 3 more weekends. ...
I'm in no hurry...as long as it comes out good and I have fun doing it :thumbsup:

Jeff

Yeah. I agree. We're still working on putting the engine together also. So it's like a slow race to see which one gets finished, (fights us) more/first. Lol

I really think this will bring my car to life......
I went through the engine a year ago, new 3:55 rear gears.....transmission was the missing link.

Jeff

Jeff is the valve body spacer plate gold iridate plated? Looks like it in the pic and if it is that means it has an aftermarket separator plate in it. You could run into problems using it with the TF-2 kit. If it is gold iridate and you need a stock plate let me know and I'll look and see if I have one

Hey jeff. Out of curiosity what kickdown lever is currently installed in your trans. Ours has a 2.9, and from what we're reading it's a good idea to go to a 3.8. We're currently looking for a 3.8.

Hey jeff. Out of curiosity what kickdown lever is currently installed in your trans. Ours has a 2.9, and from what we're reading it's a good idea to go to a 3.8. We're currently looking for a 3.8.
I have the 2.9 too....will be going to 3.8 or a 4.2.....

Jeff

-
Back