Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

-
But I've also read about people having problems with the 3.8 and up levers with the tf-2. We're still discussing it. Lol

Yeah. I had my mind made up last night, and then we started seeing things like that. The Transco directions don't make any mention of the kickdown lever. It makes me wonder if it's designed to be used with the factory 2.9 kickdown lever and trans go makes all of their changes hydraulically

Yeah. I had my mind made up last night, and then we started seeing things like that. The Transco directions don't make any mention of the kickdown lever. It makes me wonder if it's designed to be used with the factory 2.9 kickdown lever and trans go makes all of their changes hydraulically
@fishy68 or @KickDown have any information about this?????

Jeff

From what I'm reading, it sounds like we will be OK as long as we use two Springs. Your valve body and previous shift kit removed the spring. I would get the stock spring and add it in there per trans goes recommendation and that other thread.

I have come across this symptom quite often especially after a TF-2 has been fitted. What actually is happening. With the increase in KD lever ratio, the intermediate band will certainly release slower. If the band has not fully released before the High clutch has engaged you will have an overlap situation as the transmission is in 2nd & 3rd gear for a split second. The way I have overcome this is either to fit both the small & large diameter return springs to the intermediate servo piston. This will speed up the release of the intermediate band. Or increase the number of return springs on the reverse/ high clutch piston. With a 4.2 lever you will definately need at least 12 springs. This measure will slow the application of the rev/high clutch. It is a trial & error scenario until the 2 events are in sync. In extreme cases I have tapped the rev/high clutch orifice with a 1/8 NPT thread & have several 1/8 NPT plugs with different sized holes for each one. On an overhaul I dont usually go anything above a 3.8 lever unless the transmission is being used with a FMVB or a RMVB.

I have come across this symptom quite often especially after a TF-2 has been fitted. What actually is happening. With the increase in KD lever ratio, the intermediate band will certainly release slower. If the band has not fully released before the High clutch has engaged you will have an overlap situation as the transmission is in 2nd & 3rd gear for a split second. The way I have overcome this is either to fit both the small & large diameter return springs to the intermediate servo piston. This will speed up the release of the intermediate band. Or increase the number of return springs on the reverse/ high clutch piston. With a 4.2 lever you will definately need at least 12 springs. This measure will slow the application of the rev/high clutch. It is a trial & error scenario until the 2 events are in sync. In extreme cases I have tapped the rev/high clutch orifice with a 1/8 NPT thread & have several 1/8 NPT plugs with different sized holes for each one. On an overhaul I dont usually go anything above a 3.8 lever unless the transmission is being used with a FMVB or a RMVB.

Thank you very much. I think that's the exact info we were looking for.

Here's another question.

We currently have 9 piston springs.

Do we buy 3 piston springs or 12 new ones?

Thank you again. Eric.

I would renew all the springs. They have been in there for around 40 years & are probably a bit tired. LOL
They come in packs of 15 if you order from A&A. Part Number 22975. Cost 30 Bucks.

Jeff is the valve body spacer plate gold iridate plated? Looks like it in the pic and if it is that means it has an aftermarket separator plate in it. You could run into problems using it with the TF-2 kit. If it is gold iridate and you need a stock plate let me know and I'll look and see if I have one
@fishy68

Yes.....I'd be interested in that plate if you have one!

Jeff

We have the 3.8 lever. And we ordered a piston spring set. Only because I would feel guilty if I didn't. LOL

Come on weekend!

We have the 3.8 lever. And we ordered a piston spring set. Only because I would feel guilty if I didn't. LOL

Come on weekend!
Yup....I just ordered a few more parts too.....COME ON WEEKEND!
I hope I get a 2 day weekend this time to get more done!!!

Jeff

I had a two day weekend last weekend because I used a personal day. LOL. It sucks not having a normal job. LOL

I had a two day weekend last weekend because I used a personal day. LOL. It sucks not having a normal job. LOL

I hear ya.....I "want" to find some energy after work to go out and get a little done....but by the end of the day I'm whopped!

Jeff

We will get through this together brother. LOL.

These transmissions are going down like a three dollar *****. LOL.

We will get through this together brother. LOL.

These transmissions are going down like a three dollar *****. LOL.

I really think it's going to be a huge improvement!
I can't wait!

What engine are you running???

Jeff

About the band lever. I have never had a problem with a 3.8 lever with 2 springs in the front accumulator and 12 springs in the front clutch assy. If you have a solid front band you can usually get away with a 4.2 lever but IMO with a stock VB the 1-2 shift isn't hardly any different between the 3.8 and 4.2 lever so why chance having overlap on the 2-3 shift

Ok Jeff. I have a few different ones. What year is your valve body? Should be cast into it. If you don't see a year get me the casting number off the main part of the valve body
Thanks.....I'll grab that number in the morning and post it up...!

Jeff

Ok Jeff. I have a few different ones. What year is your valve body? Should be cast into it. If you don't see a year get me the casting number off the main part of the valve body
@fishy68

I only found the numbers in this picture and searched on Google how to decode it to no avail .......

image000001 (4).jpg

Looks like it reads

How do I decode the date from that???

Jeff

About the band lever. I have never had a problem with a 3.8 lever with 2 springs in the front accumulator and 12 springs in the front clutch assy. If you have a solid front band you can usually get away with a 4.2 lever but IMO with a stock VB the 1-2 shift isn't hardly any different between the 3.8 and 4.2 lever so why chance having overlap on the 2-3 shift
Also, what do you mean "front accumulator"???

Jeff

@fishy68

I only found the numbers in this picture and searched on Google how to decode it to no avail .......

View attachment 1715131455

Looks like it reads

How do I decode the date from that???

Jeff
You don't from the 3743155. That's a part number. There might be a way to decode it from the other numbers but I don't know how. Pretty sure I have that exact same VB in my parts stash and all the spacer plates are unmolested. I'll look tonight and get back to you.

-
Back