Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

-
Sorry that was a typo. Meant to say front servo

Oh.....got 'cha.....:thumbsup:

You don't from the 3743155. That's a part number. There might be a way to decode it from the other numbers but I don't know how. Pretty sure I have that exact same VB in my parts stash and all the spacer plates are unmolested. I'll look tonight and get back to you.

Oh....cool.
Where on the valve body should I look for the date?

Jeff

They seem to put it most anywhere they felt like that day but it's always on the cast main section. It's usually just the last 2 numbers and possibly surrounded by an asterisk (I think that's what it's called)

They seem to put it most anywhere they felt like that day but it's always on the cast main section. It's usually just the last 2 numbers and possibly surrounded by an asterisk (I think that's what it's called)
OK.....I'll look some more!

Jeff

After work yesterday I made up a better workspace. ....

image000001 (1).jpg

Jeff

I was going to do my engine myself but, at the power level I wanted I felt it was best to get someone who actually knows what they are doing to do. The transmission, however, I'm pretty sure I'll do myself - 727. See my thread ''74 HEMI Dart''

I was going to do my engine myself but, at the power level I wanted I felt it was best to get someone who actually knows what they are doing to do. The transmission, however, I'm pretty sure I'll do myself - 727. See my thread ''74 HEMI Dart''
I've seen that thread.....awesome car!
I'd take a HEMI to a professional too......

Jeff

Hey Mark, I have done a few and have the tools and books. Would be happy to help you out. I have quite a few bits and pieces and a good big block core as well.

Hey Mark, I have done a few and have the tools and books. Would be happy to help you out. I have quite a few bits and pieces and a good big block core as well.
I have a steel crank RB core as well. That one may likely go up for sale in future. Still waiting on my aluminum beauty... Have a rebuildable 727 too

Got the valve body disassembled and cleaning it up.....

image000000.jpg

I'll work on installing the shift kit this week. ...
:thumbsup:

A couple of parts kinda "fell" out as I took it apart before I could get pictures...so I'll almost CERTAINLY be asking for help as to orientation on a few things.....ugh.

Jeff

Were you using that claw hammer to take it apart, LOL. Hang on to all the balls, there are pretty good descriptions in the fsm and other manuals that you have about where everything goes back. The shift kit has you leave some balls out.

Were you using that claw hammer to take it apart, LOL. Hang on to all the balls, there are pretty good descriptions i the fsm and other manuals that you have about where everything goes back. The shift kit has you leave some balls out.
Lol....that tiny hammer was GENTLY used to tap down the shift linkage assembly out of the hole (and nothing else!)
No brutal beating at all....I promise!

Jeff

Got the valve body disassembled and cleaning it up.....

View attachment 1715132925

I'll work on installing the shift kit this week. ...
:thumbsup:

A couple of parts kinda "fell" out as I took it apart before I could get pictures...so I'll almost CERTAINLY be asking for help as to orientation on a few things.....ugh.

Jeff

Had one of them "Oh Chit" Moments Eh !!!! Your doing just fine Jeff.... :)

Might I suggest covering up the converter snout. Also, Find some large plastic bags to put your fresh, cleanly assembled items into as you proceed to keep them clean.

Looks good and doing fine.

You're looking good Jeff. This is where your work area needs to be well lit & hospital clean. If you need to remove the glaze from the valves on assembly of the VB, use nothing more than a blast of brake cleaner & a 3M Scotchbrite pad. Then soak everything in ATF.

Got some more parts and tools this week....and I should get a 2 day weekend and get a lot done I hope!

image000000-5.jpg

image000000-4.jpg

image000000-3.jpg

image000000-2.jpg

image000000.jpg

Jeff

It occurs to me that after all the parts and tools, it about half the cost of having a shop do it.
Of course also a ton of labor and learning etc on my part.

So why do it?
My motto...built - not bought.

Anyone can save up their pennies and write checks....that's not why I do this.
There's a LOT to be said about the pride of doing it yourself.

A few weeks from now, when she's running again, this is all water under the bridge.
And it's actually pretty fun!

Jeff

If you ever have to do another, you know how to do it and have the equipment to get it done.

I don't recall any tools that were specialized. I've used C clamp and made some things out of steel stock.

Keep it up!

-
Back