Just recieved my dougs d450 headers Wowwww

-

stroker402

1968 dart GTS convertible
Reaction score
just received my headers for the 273 dartcharger..
They are a work of art.
love them !
What do you guys think of them ?

Do you guys remember which oil filter adapter it requires ?
instructions says straight but sures appears the 90* will work also.

Attachments

• my dougs I.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,586
  • my dougs II.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,500
  • my dougs pass..jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,501
Can't get by with using the short oil filter instead of the long one? I use the short oil filter with my TTI headers with no adapter needed.

Those are really nice!!!! May I ask how much money they were? And also do you know if they will work with a 4 speed? Thanks!

Those are really nice!!!! May I ask how much money they were? And also do you know if they will work with a 4 speed? Thanks!

application says they will not fit a automatic early A ...just 4 speed.
cost ..........tad over 6 bills .

I just put them on my 66 Barracuda and I used the 90 degree filter adaptor. You need to remove it to get the header in though.

Who do you think makes Schumacher's headers? Yup, Doug's...

I just finished installing these on my 63. Not a bad install with the steering column, master cylinder, brake lines, distribution block, z-bar and torsion bars all removed.

The passenger side went in easy, but you need to take them apart. I can't imagine not using the 90 degree adapter. Even with the short filter it would be a PITA changing it.

The driver's side is a little rougher, but not too bad. The only contact point I have is the mini-starter and the lip of the frame rail near the control arm mount. I think the normal starter would fit and some minor hammer work to bend up the frame rail lip fixed that.

Wires on the driver's side is another issue.

They are totally bad *** though and worth the work. Too bad I have to pull it all apart for final paint...

99_Headers_P1.JPG

99_Headers_D1.JPG

99_Headers_D2.JPG

99_Headers_D3.JPG

View through the column hole?

I am running the 90 degree oil filter adapter with the Dougs D450 headers on my 64. I found that the torsion bars are about the only thing that MUST come out on both sides. Defiantly a job you would need a helping hand or two with.

Attachments

• DSC00721.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,264
  • DSC00733.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,217
  • DSC00732.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,240
  • 18480_1320117284007_1263030699_2836107_6394995_n.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,138
A couple more... over time they dull a bit, and mine are scratched up a bit now. I posted the under car pics to show how they DONT hang low.

Attachments

• DSC00977.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,226
  • DSC00982.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,228
  • DSC00983.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,238
Great pictures stroker valiant and fzmax !
did you modify your trans cross member on the pass. side also ?
I have not heard anyone say they had to pull the torsion bars out yet to install headers.. was that a must ? or ..........

ONce you master removing the torsion bars, its a very worthwhile 10 minutes. Like removing the front seat to work under the dash. You can work under there but its SO much easier with both out. That design looks like the ones I'm working on

Are you guys cutting out the flange webbing between the tubes ? mine have some cuts in the webbing where they should be hacked off. maybe easier to get at the sparklugs ?you would think if the tubes have more freeplay they maybe easier to install.
Thanks for your help you guys !!!

john

ONce you master removing the torsion bars, its a very worthwhile 10 minutes. Like removing the front seat to work under the dash. You can work under there but its SO much easier with both out. That design looks like the ones I'm working on

Gee pishta .... you must have a zipper on your torsion bars..lol The last two jobs I did took me all afternoon to pound them out.. they were a bear !lol
I thought All these slip tubes and bolt on flanges were used to make the job easier.. that is why they made the slip tubes that way.... no ?
john

Yes the trans cross member was modified to run the "dual" setup.

Pull the torsion bar time ten!! yes, the slip tubes make the job easier, but torsion bars are so easy to get out of the way.

Yes the flange meterial between the runners must be cut, the D450's have the precut on them, just finish it off an viola, mulit multi piece headers!

Those look nice but how do the weld's look close up? A sure sign of quality craftsmanship would be nice,untouched welds that needed no clean up.

For MIG welds, they are ok, could be better. They have no cleanup marks on them, so they were welded once and done. For the amount of money they cost, I would have liked to see them TIG welded. One other thing I did not like about these headers is the bends in them. The drastic bends are mulitiple pieces of mandrel bend, whichs is fine, but there are a couple of compression bends on the primary runners on mine. These headers are 1 5/8 primaries, so that means the are SLIGHTLY smaller on the bends. Maybe I am just too pickey, but overall I am happy with mine just because they fit so perfect.

Those look nice but how do the weld's look close up? A sure sign of quality craftsmanship would be nice,untouched welds that needed no clean up.

-
Back