KB 243 piston retaining rings

-

moparfanatic56

Reaction score
OK I need some advice on putting the spiral retaining rings in for the KB 243 pistons. I tried following the provided instructions with no luck either I don't have enough patientence or I am doing something wrong. Does anyone have an easier way to install them. Next question will the old style snap ring work?

You can use double tru-arc retaining clips but your better off using what you have.

I'm not sure what the directions say but you need to grab the ends and careful spread the spirolock apart until it stays apart with about an 1/8 inch gap between the spirals.

You should then be able to work it in the groove by starting one end in the groove and the using a tool just screw the rest of it right in.

I use the rounded back side of a small pick I have, but a rounded off screw driver will work.

I'm not sure what the directions say but you need to grab the ends and careful spread the spirolock apart until it stays apart with about an 1/8 inch gap between the spirals.
And I think YR means to spread the lock apart in the direction in parallel with the axis of the pin; i.e., spread it apart to look like a screw thread. If you get one end separated like that, and down into the groove, then rest will push right in with a spiraling motion.

Once you get the first one down it's not bad. I use a very small flat blade screwdriver and dental pick.

And I think YR means to spread the lock apart in the direction in parallel with the axis of the pin; i.e., spread it apart to look like a screw thread. If you get one end separated like that, and down into the groove, then rest will push right in with a spiraling motion.

Yep, that's what I meant. They actually aren't that bad once you get the hang of it. They can make you bleed if you're not careful.

You also want to be careful not to stretch it or bend it out of shape.

-
Back