LA 360 or Magnum 5.9

-
Only complaint I hear between 318 and 360 is torque. Need more torque for heavier car

Ya basically but it more do gearing. Say a 350hp 360 optimal gear for the 1/4 is 3.73 and a 350hp 318 say would be 4.10. And you were gonna run 3.55. The 360 would be slighty under geared but the 318 would majorly under geared.

jeepers, I can't pull anything over on you, can I.lol

TM ;TorqueMultiplication; takes me 3 minutes to type that out, then go back and fix all the wrong keystrokes

I put it back in
Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Thanks!

I got some 4.10 gears also, but with a 3 speed it kills drivability passed 45 mph. At 70 mph I would be turning like 3800 rpms

The 4.30 gears in my Valiant didn't do that. I drove it everyday for almost 4 years. Back and forth to work, on the interstate. At 55 it turned a tick over 2700. Didn't bother me at all.

The 4.30 gears in my Valiant didn't do that. I drove it everyday for almost 4 years. Back and forth to work, on the interstate. At 55 it turned a tick over 2700. Didn't bother me at all.

Speed limit in Texas is 75 at 55 I would get run over and cussed out.

I thought speed limit in Texas was 85? Want to cruise on the highway in an old mopar with 500hp on tap? Turbocharge it. Turbo loves to operate with high gearing, <3.55’s is preferable, some going into the high 2’s. 75mph all day and will dominate most at the track.

I thought speed limit in Texas was 85? Want to cruise on the highway in an old mopar with 500hp on tap? Turbocharge it. Turbo loves to operate with high gearing, <3.55’s is preferable, some going into the high 2’s. 75mph all day and will dominate most at the track.

ALOT of places in Texas it is 85, bit where I live near dfw its 70-75. I have been trying to sell or trade my 4.10 for some 3.55

I run 75 down the freeway with 4.56's. I don't do I for hours but I do it. Got my first 4.56 gears in early 1981. Made me massive amounts of money.

Best street gear hands down.

Would I better off getting the EQ heads drilled for LA intake since they are more plentiful?

The EQ CH318B heads already have LA intake bolt pattern.

The EQ is (IMO) a really nice iron head that works well in the street (as cast) and can be ported for some really nice and capable power. They can make for a really nice street strip head. There only draw back as far as I’m concerned is there heavy iron, which is t the end of the world and for me, not really a huge concern.

True, aluminum removes about 50kbs. of the nose of the engine for yadda yadda yadda.... we all know the drill here. However, 50lbs. is, again, not the end of the world and a worry if your in the street.

The EQ is (IMO) a really nice iron head that works well in the street (as cast) and can be ported for some really nice and capable power. They can make for a really nice street strip head. There only draw back as far as I’m concerned is there heavy iron, which is t the end of the world and for me, not really a huge concern.

True, aluminum removes about 50kbs. of the nose of the engine for yadda yadda yadda.... we all know the drill here. However, 50lbs. is, again, not the end of the world and a worry if your in the street.

Make Big Power With Your Magnum 5.9L Mopar With These Heads! - Hot Rod Network

Untitled.jpg

I'm always guessing
I try not to use absolutes like "will do",
preferring might do, could do, should do, Probably, possibly, maybe,
cuz then it's not as embarrassing when I'm wrong,lol.
If I’m wrong then I’m wrong. I just do my best to be 100-% sure before stating what I do as a fact. If it’s something a friend did, I say so. If *I Think* it is correct, then you see the *I Think*. I try not to guess ever. It thinking things through, it will be so known.
So red faced is seldom.
I wouldn’t ever want to steer my brother or sister in the wrong direction and so it is the same here.

[/UOTE]
I used to have a Desk-Top Dyno, back in 99, [/QUOTE]
Great learning tool. Never use a single plane intake unless it is a balls out crazy race build.
And I hate green peppers on pizzas
LMAO!!!!!!
I agree, they don’t belong.
But what ever floats your boat, throw it on.

I used to have a Desk-Top Dyno, back in 99,
Great learning tool.
Never use a single plane intake unless it is a balls out crazy race build.
Especially now that we have the AGap. Man when that thing came out, I ordered one from the local SpeedShop rightaway. Cost a fortune but, I've never been sorry.
or EFI

Especially now that we have the AGap. Man when that thing came out, I ordered one from the local SpeedShop rightaway. Cost a fortune but, I've never been sorry.
or EFI
Yea got that right! Hammer head squarely on the nail head! BAMM!

Though.... I still enjoy tinkering with that device designed to constantly confuse and confound, the carburetor.

I got some 4.10 gears also, but with a 3 speed it kills drivability passed 45 mph. At 70 mph I would be turning like 3800 rpms
Another option is swapping the 3 speed for an a518 (46rh), you'll get overdrive an lockup torque converter.

Another option is swapping the 3 speed for an a518 (46rh), you'll get overdrive an lockup torque converter.
But I have read you have to modify tranny tunnel to fit the A518?

5.9 mags are easy to get good power out of.
The one I built makes good torque and power in my old truck.

Odd thing is my next build is a LA teen, just to use some parts up, going to be basically a stock rebuild, no boring just hone, a good cleaning of parts, maybe a clean up of the crank journals, and valve job, and a cheap summit cam, with a 174 B&M supercharger with a small shot of nitrous.
Going to stick it in an old challenger, and drive it like I don't care if I hurt the motor, I have three teen motors, so parts breakage, if it happens don't really mean anything.

The stock heads won't make the same horsepower, and they have issues with cracking. The thing about the EQs is they aren't that expensive. By the time you spend any money on the stock junk at all, you might as well have bought them. I believe a set from hughes with decent springs is like $1000.00.

PLUS you can get them with the LA intake bolt pattern for the same money, which is huge.

Steve

Sounds like a plan. What about a pair of stock heads that are freshly redone by machine shop? Can't really afford EQ or rhs heads. I want to for sure change cam because I need the lopey or choppy sound

-
Back