LCA strut rod bushing.

-

davek31

Reaction score
Just trying to install control arms on my 69 barracuda, I'm using strut bushing poly bushings PN 4-1202 from summit.
They are the 2 piece with a sleeve. Unfortunately the sleeve is the same size as the step in the strut, the bushing can just push back over the step. I think something is wrong here.
the pics tell the story. Do I have the wrong bushing kit. Summit site says good for 69 barracuda. Or do I have oddball strut rods.
IMG_20170320_142826.jpg

I think you have the 73 up bushings if you haven't upgraded your k frame to a spool mount you have the wrong bushings

You're missing the washers. Even with the poly strut rod bushings you still need the original washers to retain the bushings. Not sure if those are the right bushings or not.
IMG_3938.JPG

Call me dumb forgot about the large washers duhhhhhhhhhhh.
But .....
With the washers it seems the bushings are a lot fatter when installed would not be able to run the nut down past the cotter pin hole.

The K frame is stock 69 as far as I know. Nothing easy on this exercise. Can anyone help with a part number that will actually fit.

IMG_20170320_145556(1).jpg

None of the poly strut rod bushings fit worth a crap. One of many reasons why I use adjustable strut rods.

The rubber ones will probably work better.

The problem with using poly bushings for the strut rods, or even at the LCA with stock strut rods, is that the strut rods depend on the play in the rubber bushings to be the right length. The stock strut rods were a "one size fits most" deal, the factory didn't care as long as they were close enough to get the alignment. And the play in all the rubber bushings helped mask strut rods that weren't exactly the right length. When you add in the poly bushings it eliminates that play, and in a lot of cases you find out that the strut rods are no longer the right length. I don't even mess with it and use adjustable strut rods, that way I can tune them to the correct length to eliminate any binding.

Wondering why no one has cut a stock stut rod in half and threaded the ends and used a coupling nut. Just a thought.

The problem with poly strut bushings is they're too thick for the 67-72 strut rods, they will work with the 73 and up rods in stock form but not the older ones.
If you want to use the poly bushings with those rods you'll have to cut the thickness down on the inner bushings (slice them where they start to taper) and take the piece you cut off from the inner bushing and run it along with the outer bushing to maintain proper crush, so basically you'll have a half thickness bushing on the inner position and a full thickness plus a half thickness for the outer bushing.
If you try to put it together with a full thickness bushing on the inner position of the strut rod it will wind up pushing the lower control arm back when you tighten everything up and with a poly bushing in the LCA it will cause the arm to squirm its way off the bushing.
The other problem is the extra length of the sleeve causes the cotter pin hole to be covered, a nylon locking nut will be the easiest fix.

The problem with poly strut bushings is they're too thick for the 67-72 strut rods, they will work with the 73 and up rods in stock form but not the older ones.
If you want to use the poly bushings with those rods you'll have to cut the thickness down on the inner bushings (slice them where they start to taper) and take the piece you cut off from the inner bushing and run it along with the outer bushing to maintain proper crush, so basically you'll have a half thickness bushing on the inner position and a full thickness plus a half thickness for the outer bushing.
If you try to put it together with a full thickness bushing on the inner position of the strut rod it will wind up pushing the lower control arm back when you tighten everything up and with a poly bushing in the LCA it will cause the arm to squirm its way off the bushing.
The other problem is the extra length of the sleeve causes the cotter pin hole to be covered, a nylon locking nut will be the easiest fix.

so if I'm reading this correctly.
the reason I found my Poly Graphite LCA bushing set back 1/4" from fully seated, is because the brass sleeve in the Poly Graphite strut rod set? (I had pics but they will not load right now) The brass sleeve was there to fit the smaller dia strut rod but prevents compression to position the LCA correctly?
I am rebuilding a 66 front end that had the PST PolyG kit used all around back in the mid 90's. All the bushings were in great shape but I am questioning this bit of engineering. Most part are being changed to Moog products Like the K7040 and the LCA bushing.

The 2 piece bushings fit 73 -76 strut rods , they have coarse threads. U can put the 73 rods into ur 72 and older and use the 2 piece bushing. Or just use the proper 1 piece bushing for ur car. Kim

-
Back