Leafs blowing inside

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling / AC' started by C Galloway, Aug 13, 2017.

1. C Galloway

C Galloway Active Member

Local Time:
    10:19 PM
    My grandpa, many years ago, cut out the stock a/x unit out of my 71 slant 6 demon. Along with some coolant tubes flopping around the engine bay, the main problem is leafs and crap keep blowing into the cab. I know at one point there was an interior mount a/c controller under the dash. I tried moving the flaps on the vent things on the toekicks on each side up and down and hasnt made a difference. Any idea where or why this debris keeps blowing in and how to stop it?

2. 72bluNblu

72bluNblu FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    10:19 PM
    Leaves fall into the cowl vent and then get pushed into the interior vents. Sometimes they get stuck in the heater or A/C box, but they can just come in through the vent boxes. If the car isn't currently being stored outside under a tree, it means the cowl is full of leaves. You can pull the vent boxes on either end and clean it out as best you can.

This is a non-AC car, but I think your '71 has all the same vent boxes. I dropped the vents and the box, reached up into the cowl, and pulled down all the stuff you see here from inside the cowl.
    IMG_1090_zps4ba1d898.jpg

vent boxes
    IMG_4849.JPG

IMG_4848.JPG

cowl space that's probably packed full of leaves...
    IMG_4850.JPG

• Like Like x 1